Chapter 6

Heatherkit woke up, feeling cold. She got up and yawned. She then stretched and curled back up against her mother.

          “Are you feeling all right?” Ladyfierce asked. “You’ve been whimpering and turning all night. Is something wrong?”

          “No, it was just a nightmare.” Heatherkit answered. I can’t tell her about the prophecy. She’ll think I’ve gone mad…or can I? Heatherkit wondered looking up at her mother and smiled.

          The sun was rising up. The sky was full of layers of colors. It’s going to be sun high soon, Heatherkit thought. She once again, got up and walked out the den.

          Cats were starting to wake up as well to go on patrol. She saw Featherpaw exiting the apprentices den with her mentor, Grayeye. They must be going on the dawn patrol. Heatherkit wondered. Or a hunting patrol. She watched Featherpaw and Grayeye leave with a few other cats.

          “Hey, what are you doing?” Someone asked.

          Heatherkit turned around, to see Ratpaw and Snakepaw behind her. They were much bigger than her, so Heatherkit slowly backed away.

          She has heard many things about these two apprentices. Bullies they were. They are trouble makers and are always looking for a fight. Heatherkit gulped thinking that she is their next target.

          “Hah, the little kit is scared!” Ratpaw teased.

          Heatherkit knew she was in trouble, she sat down. “I am not!” Heatherkit shot back defending herself. Though she knew she was terrified inside, because she knew these two cats caused a lot of trouble.

          “Are you sure?” Snakepaw asked, “Because, if you weren’t scared, you wouldn’t back away from us like that.”

          Heatherkit grew tense and dug her little claws into the ground. “Just leave me alone.” She turned around, and walked away, hoping that Snakepaw and Ratpaw weren’t following her.

          Then Snakepaw grabbed her tail, and dragged her back, pinning her against the ground.

          “Hey, let me go this instant! I’m not a play toy!” Heatherkit screeched in fury. She tightly shut her eyes.

          “Aw, poor little Heatherkit is all scared.” Ratpaw laughed teasing her.

          “Put me down!” Heatherkit screamed. “Ladyfierce, help me!” She didn’t get why other cats weren’t helping her. Some Clan…

          “Hah, crying for your mommy now!” Snakepaw teased. He let out his claws lightly and Heatherkit winced in fear.

          “Hey! Put my sister down!” Wildkit scampered. She ran up to Snakepaw, and bit his tail.

          “You call that a bite! That was nothing like one.” Snakepaw taunted and hissed at Wildkit and hit her with his tail.

          “You want to know what a bite really is.” Ladyfierce hissed at Snakepaw. She grabbed her daughter, and bit Snakepaw’s back. She then hit him in the head with her paw.

          Snakepaw was then left whimpering in pain. Ratpaw slowly backed up, then ran.

          “That’ll teach you from messing with my daughter, you skunk bags!” Ladyfierce yelled. She picked up Heatherkit who was panting on the floor and took her the nursery to make sure she was ok.

          “Ladyfierce…” Heatherkit began whimpering. “Why were they being mean to me? I don’t get it, I’m a kit.”

          “I don’t know sweetie. There just known as the bullies of the Clan. They like to cause trouble.” Ladyfierce responded. She licked Heatherkit’s fur, making sure there were no cuts or blood.

          Heatherkit got up once Ladyfierce had examined her. “Ladyfierce am I a wimp?” she asked her mother.

          Ladyfierce looked shocked, apparently to hear those words come out Heatherkit. “Of course you’re not dear. One day, you’ll be big enough so they can’t hit you. One day you’ll be a great fighter. You just have to grow. You know you and your sisters are my brave little warriors.” Ladyfierce said, with pride. Her eyes shined in the dim light of the den.

          Heatherkit smiled and began thinking, Ladyfierce is right. I will be a great fighter. I will grow. I am not a wimp. One day I’ll be the one Ratpaw and Snakepaw will respect. I may be their leader some day. She smiled as she thought toughs words. She knew that someday, she will be the best warrior any Clan has ever had. “Thanks Ladyfierce.” Heatherkit said. “I’m glad I have you to talk to.”

          Ladyfierce smiled with pride and nodded. “Now, why don’t you go play with your sisters?”

          Heatherkit nodded and with that, she ran out the den.