Chapter 11

Heatherkit smelled the scent of blood and immediately got up. She wasn’t in the nursery, no, but she was in a forest. She looked around, and blood was splattered everywhere. Her brown paws were covered in the hot, sticky, red stuff. She flexed her claws and dug them into the ground. Where am I? She thought to herself.

          She saw the outline of another cat coming down to her. The cat became clearer, and its amber pelt glowed in the remaining moonlight. It was Ambertail.

          “I thought I told you not to come here.” She said. Her voice was filled with anger.

          “I-I didn’t.” Heatherkit said. “I woke up and I was here.”

          Ambertail sighed. “You’re lucky no one found you here before I did.” She said. “Anyway, I’m taking you out of here.” Her eyes glowed and Heatherkit woke up once again, and she was inside the nursery, curled up against her mother and sisters.

          Heatherkit stood up and woke her sisters.

          “What do you want?” Hawkkit asked.

          “It’s dawn. Let’s do something.” Heatherkit said.

          Wildkit was still asleep, so Heatherkit shook her again.

          “What?” she squeaked as she opened her eyes.

          “Heatherkit wants to play. But don’t you want to sleep, like I do?” Hawkkit said drowsily.

          “Yes,” Wildkit said and wrapped her tail around her nose.

          Ladyfierce, just getting up, shook Wildkit and Hawkkit up again.

          “What?” Wildkit said holding out her paws.

          “Why don’t you play with your sister outside the nursery?” Ladyfierce said.

          “Fine,” Wildkit said as she got up.

          Heatherkit smiled at her mother.

          “Hawkkit, get up.” Ladyfierce said again. She then rapidly licked Hawkkit’s head until she was fully awake.

          By the time Hawkkit stopped fighting with Ladyfierce about staying asleep, the camp alive with cats.

          “Come on Heatherkit, let’s just go. Hawkkit’s just being a pain.” Wildkit says.

          Heatherkit nods and together they walk out of the nursery.

          “Hey, can I play with you two?”

          Heatherkit turned around finding Sharpkit running up to them.

          “Sure!” Wildkit said.

          “What are you going to play?” He asked.

           “We’re going to play with the moss balls. Do you want to get them from the medicine cats den?” Wildkit asked him.

           “No, I’ll get them.” Heatherkit said and hurried off to the den. She grabbed three moss balls and ran back to Wildkit and Sharpkit.

          “How do you play?” Sharpkit asked as Heatherkit gave a moss ball to him.

          “Well, you have to throw them. Let’s say I throw one at Wildkit and it hits her, she’s out. If it misses, then you’re still in. I guess it’ll be more fun with more players, but Hawkkit’s being a pain and doesn’t want to play, but sleep.” Heatherkit says and hands a moss ball to Wildkit.

          “I could get Ravenkit and Mudkit to join us.” Sharpkit said.

          “Okay.” Wildkit says. “I’ll get two more moss balls then.”

          “Get three more just in case Hawkkit decides to play.” Heatherkit said.

          Wildkit nods and runs off to the medicine cat den. Sharpkit runs off to the nursery and comes back with his brother and sister.

          “Hawkkit didn’t want to come.” He says.

          Heatherkit nods and Wildkit comes back with the moss balls and hands one to Mudkit and Ravenkit.

          “Thanks.” Mudkit said. “Now, how do you play?”

          Heatherkit explained the rules again and the kits understood, so they begin playing.

          First one out is Mudkit. Then it’s Wildkit.

          Heatherkit throws a moss ball and it hits Ravenkit in the muzzle. “Out,” She exclaimed.

          Unexpectedly, Sharpkit tosses his moss ball and it hits Heatherkit at the side.

          “I win!” He says and starts to run around in circles.

          Heatherkit laughs while watching him.

          “Hey, let’s play again.” Raven kit says picking up a moss ball.

          The five cats play on and on for about ten more times. When they are done, Heatherkit walks over to the fresh kill pile and grabs a small juicy vole and eats it. She then grabs a small mouse and brings it over to Wildkit.

          “Thanks.” Wildkit said and eats the mouse.

          “You’re welcome.” Heatherkit said. She looks over at Sharpkit, Mudkit, and Ravenkit who are still playing the game.

          “They are so cute and little!” Wildkit said.

          “I know. Just wait till they’re apprentices.” Heatherkit said.

          “We’re going to be apprentices soon.” Wildkit said and looked at her sister.

          “Yes, yes we are. And I’m ready.” Heatherkit replied.

          “Do you think there’s going to be a battle soon?” Wildkit then asks.

          “I hope not.” Heatherkit replied. “No cat likes a battle.”

          Wildkit nodded and gets up. “Well, I’ll see you later. I’m going to join in with Ravenkit.”

          “Okay,” Heatherkit said and watches her run off.