Chapter 9

Heatherkit got up from her nap. Wildkit and Hawkkit were both next to her, asleep, while Ladyfierce was wrapped around them all. It’s been three weeks since Fluffbird’s warrior ceremony, and her father, Graystone was getting better. It broke Fluffbird’s heart when Moonflower told her that his time to join StarClan was very soon.

          Heatherkit got up to stretch. It was a little past sun high. The warm sunlight filled the nursery. She got up to hear Whitewing’s three new born kits meowing. The kits were born just two days ago, two males and one female. The oldest one was brown, and Grayeye named him Ravenkit. The second one was also brown, and Whitewing named her Mudkit because of her light brown fur that looked like mud. The last one was black. He was the smallest one, and hardly made it through birth. Sharpkit is his name. Heatherkit helped choose the name for him.

          “Heatherkit, is that you?” Whitewing woke up and Heatherkit walked past.

          “Yeah,” Heatherkit said as she sat down by the kits. “They’re really cute.” Her voice was sweet like sounding. “How’s Sharpkit doing?”

          “He is doing much better.” Whitewing said.

          Heatherkit smiled and then left the den.

          “Hey Heatherkit,” Bossykit said as she walked up to her.

          Heatherkit looked up. “Hey. What are you doing?”

          Bossykit sat down. “Nothing, I’m just bored out of my mind. Cattykit is tired, and your sisters are asleep. So there is no one to play with.”

          “So are you saying I’m no fun?” Heatherkit’s ears dropped. She then frowned.

          “Well, you always play by the rules. You have to loosen up more. Ignore rules for once.” Bossykit said.

          Heatherkit got up and walked away. She did not want to be annoyed by a kit that is older than her. There is nothing to do here anymore! Heatherkit thought. She was frustrated. She went over to the fresh-kill pile and grabbed a vole and started to eat.

          “What’s bothering you?” a voice spoke.

          Heatherkit looked around, “Oh, hi Larkpaw.”

          “Are you alright?” Larkpaw asked again.

          “Yeah, I’m just upset. I have nothing to do.” Heatherkit gulped down the rest of her meal.

          Larkpaw looked at her. “Well, Featherpaw, Tallpaw, and I were going to practice some battle moves in camp. Do you want to come and watch? We can teach you some things, and you’ll be ahead of the other kits when you become an apprentice.”

          “Okay, I guess it’ll be interesting.” Heatherkit said. She got up and followed Larkpaw as Larkpaw started to leave.

          “Hey, there you are Larkpaw! We’ve been waiting!” Tallpaw said as Larkpaw walked up.

          “Hi!” Heatherkit exclaimed happily.

          “Hey Heatherkit,” Featherpaw said.

          Larkpaw then spoke, “Okay, let’s begin.”

          As the three apprentices started training, Heatherkit tried to mimic them. She got a few moves to perfection, and she felt proud.

          “Nice job Heatherkit, keep it up at this rate you’ll be an amazing warrior!” Featherpaw said as she was on top of Tallpaw.

          Tallpaw then kicked Featherpaw off him. He then snickered.

          Heatherkit smiled and leaped on top of Larkpaw and Larkpaw tried to gently wiggle her off.

          Heatherkit laughed happily and then jumped to the ground.

          As the sun began to set, Heatherkit went back to the nursery to rest.

          “How was your day?” Ladyfierce asked as Heatherkit walked into the nursery.

          Heatherkit smiled. “It was great!”

          Ladyfierce nodded. “Well, that’s good to hear.”

          Heatherkit nodded and snuggled up against her mother and sisters and fell asleep.