Chapter 8

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the High Rock for a Clan meeting!” Firestar stood tall on the High Rock calling down for her Clan to gather around.

          Cats began to gather. They all looked up at Firestar, some looking proud. Heatherkit and her sisters ran out of the nursery with their mother.

          “What’s going on?” Wildkit asked. She looked at her mother as curiosity twinkled in all kit’s eyes.

          “A Clan meeting, that’s what’s going on.” Ladyfierce replied and smiled. She licked her kits fur to make it nice and neat.

          Heatherkit tried to escape her mother’s grip. “Stop it Ladyfierce, stop it!” She squirmed around.

           “You have to look nice for these events so stay still.” Ladyfierce said and continued to clean her daughters.

          Once again, Firestar began to speak. “Today is a very special day.” She spoke, her voice strong and loud. She then looked down and some cats. “Fluffpaw, may you please come up here?” Fluffpaw walked up, her black and white fur, moving as the wind blew against it.

          “Birdbreath, you have trained Fluffpaw hard. You have taught her the skills of a loyal warrior. Do you, by the name of StarClan, think she is ready to become a full warrior of the Clan?” Firestar said.

           “Yes. She has grown well, learning the warrior code. I say she’s ready to become a full FireClan warrior.” Birdbreath looked proud saying tough’s words. I’m glad he’s my father. Heatherkit thought.

          Firestar spoke again. “Fluffpaw, by the name of StarClan, do you promise to fight for your Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

          “I do.” Fluffpaw replied.

          “Then, I give you your full warrior name, Fluffbird!” Firestar shouted.

          Soon the whole Clan was calling her new name. “Fluffbird, Fluffbird, Fluffbird, Fluffbird!”

          Heatherkit saw her father run up to Fluffbird and congratulated her on becoming a warrior. One day, Heatherkit thought, the cats are going to be calling my name. The warrior name I will receive. Whatever it will be, I will be proud. She ran over to Fluffbird.

          “Congratulations Fluffpa— I mean Fluffbird!” Heatherkit said.

          “Thank you.” Fluffbird replied. “Your father was an excellent mentor. He taught me well. And you may have his excellent gift, so one day; you might mentor one of my kits.”

          Heatherkit looked at her and smiled. She never new Fluffbird long, but she already knew Fluffbird had a warm heart.

          Then a cat screamed. The scream came from the elders den.

          “Somebody help! Graystone grew ill!”

          Fluffbird looked up. “No, not my father!” she ran to the elders den.

          Heatherkit saw Goldenpaw and Moonflower exit the medicine cat den with a load of supplies, and rush in the elders den.

          “Will Graystone be ok?” Heatherkit heard Hawkkit ask their mother. Ladyfierce have been friends for a long time. Graystone was Ladyfierce’s mentor.

          “I don’t know.” Ladyfierce replied. She started to cry a little.

          Heatherkit walked back in the nursery and thought, wow. What started out as a nice ceremony, ended up a tragic event. She put her head down, and closed her eyes.