Chapter 14

“Hey Wildkit, Hawkkit, do you want to play the moss game or something?” Heatherkit asked as she ran up to her sisters. Heatherkit had just finished cleaning the elders bedding and was finally done, and she wanted to do something fun. She was sure her sisters wanted to play the moss throwing game, they always want to.

          Hawkkit shot a glance at her and turned away, not saying anything to her and stormed off. Wildkit also looked at Heatherkit but with the look of hurt in her eyes and followed Hawkkit.

          “Hey, what’s wrong?” Heatherkit asked catching up to them.

          Again, her sisters ignored her.

          Heatherkit felt frustrated. What is wrong with them? Why are they ignoring me like this? Why are they mad at me? But it was a bit obvious Heatherkit knew and was afraid to admit it to herself. She continued to follow her sisters to know the truth of why they were ignoring her. It can’t be the incident with the dogs! We are still young, it was an accident. They can’t be mad at me for that, they agreed to come along! “Why are you doing this to me?” She yelled at her sisters.

          Hawkkit glared at her and turned away. Wildkit whispered something to her that Heatherkit couldn’t make out.

          “No, I am not going to talk to her! Thanks to her, I have to do apprentice chores! I should be resting in the nursery!” Hawkkit said to Wildkit in a hushed, but loud voice. That’s the only thing Heatherkit was able to hear.

          “Well, I’m sorry about the dog incident, it was a mistake! Some sisters you are! And I’m not going to talk to either of you ever again!” Heatherkit yelled at them, and with that, she stormed off to the nursery crying.

           “What’s wrong?” Ladyfierce asked as she watched her daughter walk in.

          “It’s nothing really; Hawkkit and Wildkit won’t talk to me because of what happened yesterday.” Heatherkit said.

          “Oh Heatherkit, that’s not nothing. That’s something. They shouldn’t ignore you like that, they are you sisters.” Ladyfierce said with sympathy in her tone. “Come here.”

          Heatherkit curled up next to her mother’s soft, warm, belly and tried to sleep, and eventually did.

          “Heatherkit, what were you thinking, you broke the warrior code! Now you and your sisters are at the edge. You three have to make up, or not only your Clan, but all four may be destroyed!” Ambertail yelled at Heatherkit, sounding worried and angry all at once.

          “I’m sorry!” Heatherkit shot back. “It was a stupid idea and I never should have done it!” Heatherkit began to wail. “Plus, why would it affect all four Clans in grave danger?” She then asked.

          “Because you are the three,” Ambertail said. “You three are destined to save the four Clans by sticking together and standing up to the Dark forest cats. If you three don’t make up soon, the power between you three will weaken and the cats of the Dark forest will gain that power and take full control, destroying the Clans! The cats will overpower all the Clans and start battles. Cats will be lost. Only you and your sisters can stop it.”

          Heatherkit stared at Ambertail in shock. She became scared and terrified at this, and felt more determined than ever to try and get her sisters back. But she knew it’ll take a lot of convincing, and Ambertail had to tell them too. “Can you tell them that as well? I want to make up, but they are ignoring me.”

          “I-I can’t do that, I won’t be able to.” Ambertail said and looked away, hiding her embarrassment.

          “And why can’t you?” Heatherkit asked taking a step forward.

           “Because,” she started and hesitated for a while to finish the sentence. “Because I can’t get into their dreams, I could only do it if I get into your dreams first and you search for them, which is hard. The reason we were able to do it the first time is because I asked for help — and I wasn’t supposed too.”

            Heatherkit looked at her and sighed. “I’ll do the best I can to reassure them. They can’t stay mad at me forever.”

          Ambertail nodded and faded away.

         “Mistkit, give that back!” someone yelled waking Heatherkit up.

          Heatherkit got up to see Frostkit chasing after Mistkit who has a small mouse in her jaws with Sharpkit right behind their paws.

          “Hey, Heatherkit is up!” Sharpkit screeched looking right at Heatherkit as he stopped.

          Well, at least it’s not a total loss. Heatherkit thought. At least I still have my friends. She stood up and ran out of the nursery catching up with them. “You guys aren’t mad at me for getting us all in trouble?” She asked.

          “Of course not,” Mistkit squeaked. “We are being treated as apprentices!”

          “It’s quite fun to tell the truth.” Frostkit added.

          “Yeah, all thanks to you.” Sharpkit said and smiled.

          “Thanks guys. Hawkkit and Wildkit don’t seem too happy about it though; can you help me befriend them?”

          The three nodded.

          “Thanks.” Heatherkit replied. “Do you know where they are?”

          Instead of an answer, Heatherkit heard a yowl just outside of the camp.