Chapter 17

Heatherkit laid on her stomach waiting for the Gathering patrol Firestar took to get back to camp.

          She would suspect that they would be back a little bit early since the moon and stars had been covered by the dark storm clouds tonight, meaning that StarClan got angry about something during sometime in the meeting.

           She thought it had something to do with all the sudden deaths. She felt that deaths had not only occurred in FireClan, but the other three as well.

          She watched the entrance as Firestar and her patrol returned.

          Cats started too crowed around her to ask what happened at the Gathering today. Heatherkit got up and padded towards Firestar to ask what happened.

          “I’ll have a Clan meeting about it.” Heatherkit heard Firestar say to one of the cats crowding around her.

          Heatherkit backed away from the crowed as Firestar made her way up onto the High Rock.

          Heatherkit noticed Leapordnose and her four— no, now three kits walk out of the nursery.

          Poor Spotkit died the other night. Moonflower thought it was because of something she ate because the last thing she ate before she died was a mouse that she found on the bottom of the fresh kill pile. Poor Spotkit, she was going to be made into a apprentice next moon with her sister and brothers.

          She then turned her head to watch Firestar.

          “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here below the High Rock for a Clan meeting!” Firestar called out.

          Cats were already there looking up at Firestar waiting for her to begin.

          “It turns out that we aren’t the only Clan with sudden deaths.” Firestar started.

          Some cats gasped. Heatherkit looked around and felt guilty for all these sudden deaths. She sighed.

          “Apparently the other Clans have recently lost cats too.” Firestar continued. “GhostClan has recently lost four cats, two kits, one apprentice and one warrior. AirClan has lost two. An elder and a warrior, and PoolClan have lost three, two elders and one warrior, all these deaths in only a matter of about three or so days.”

          Cats gasped in shock and fear. Heatherkit heard wails of terror and fear.

          “Who will be next to go to StarClan?” one cat yelled.

          No, you are wrong. They won’t go to StarClan, but the Dark Forest. Heatherkit thought. And it’s my entire fault.

          “Silence,” Firestar yelled. “Relax; I’m pretty sure we don’t have to worry, let’s just al stay strong so no one else gets killed. Plus, I am not done.”

          The cats calm down and face Firestar once more.

           “During the gathering while the discussion of the recent deaths was happening, something strange happened. Two cats from each Clan, except for FireClan, started attacking innocent cats from other Clans for no apparent reason.”

          The cats gasped again. Heatherkit turned to her sisters who looked at each other and nodded, snickering. Heatherkit tilted her dead. What’s up with them? Heatherkit thought and just shrugged it off and looked at Firestar again.

          “We have no idea what happened, but the leader of GhostClan, Duskstar noticed something about those cats. Their eyes have turned black and she thinks that they are being possessed.” Firestar said and looked down. “We still are uncertain if that’s the case, and it’s most likely not, but just in case, be careful around each other. Be careful when you go out in patrol.” She said and then stepped down from the High Rock.

          Heatherkit looked around and saw cats glance at each other. Each cat looked at the other…uncertain.

          Heatherkit looked at her sisters her smiled at each other and slipped away from Birdbreath.

          No one seemed to focus on them as they walked to the entrance of the camp.

          Heatherkit tilted her head and wondered where they were going. Why are they sneaking out of the camp? She thought to herself and got up.

          She padded close behind her sisters following them knowing that they are going to get in trouble if caught.