Chapter 16

Heatherkit woke up at the path to StarClan. She shivered. “Ambertail?” she called out looking around, “Ambertail?”

          The amber cat appeared and walked up to Heatherkit, looking pretty angry.

          “Hi Ambertail,” Heatherkit meowed walking up to her.

          Ambertail sat down but didn’t reply. She just glared at Heatherkit, her starry tail tip moving.

          “Ambertail how’s Natnoes?” Heatherkit then asked. “Did he safely make it to StarClan?”

          This time Ambertail sighed. “Natnoes…he didn’t make it to StarClan.”

            Heatherkit stared at her in shock. “What do you mean? Where is he? Where did he go if he’s not in StarClan?” butterflies filled her stomach and she began feeling nervous as if all this was her fault. Please Ambertail, please don’t say what I thing you are going to say. Heatherkit then thinks.

          “Isn’t it obvious?” Ambertail started off getting up. “He’s in the Dark Forest.” She said and began franticly moving around in circles and moved her tail back and forth.

          “The Dark Forest…what,” Heatherkit muttered to herself.

          “Yes the Dark Forest.” Ambertail said glancing at her.

          “But, Natnoes doesn’t deserve the Dark Forest! He was one of FireClan’s best warriors!” Heatherkit snapped back with disbelief.

          “I know, and this is your entire fault!” Ambertail hissed back at Heatherkit.

           Heatherkit stared at her, scared. She backed away and crouched down. Ambertail glared at her and arched her back. “How is this my fault?” Heatherkit hissed getting up. She crossed her eyes waiting for an answer.

          “I warned you!” Ambertail yelled. “The Dark Forest is getting stronger; they were able to pull Natnoes into it on his way to StarClan,”

           “And how is all this my fault?” Heatherkit asked cutting off Ambertail.

          “You didn’t let me finish.” Ambertail said. “Because of you breaking the code, you and your sisters bond have been breaking. You three are powerful, and together you are meant to save the Clans. If your bond weakens, the Dark Forest gets stronger. We don’t know what they are planning, but more and more cats from each Clan will be lost unless you don’t fix this.”

          “It should be easy then.” Heatherkit said. “I can knock some sense into my sisters; tell them what’s going on.”

          “I don’t think so. Naturally, your sisters would have forgiven you. But some StarClan cats think that the Dark Forest cats were able to get into their heads and mess with them so you don’t seem to exist to them. That is why Hawkkit wouldn’t respond to you yesterday.” Ambertail says. “They know you exist, they want to talk with you. They just can’t because they are not able too. Basically they are possesed by Dark Forest cats.”

          Heatherkit’s stomach dropped and she can’t focus. The Dark Forest basically took over my sisters… She thought. “Ambertail, how can I fix this? I’m just a kit!”

          “I know you are.” Ambertail replied. “I’m willing to help you and so is the rest of StarClan. You just have to stay strong and try your best to help your sisters and your Clan. The other Clans have also lost cats.”

          Heatherkit nodded. “I will try my best.” She stated. “I’ll try my hardest to save the Clans. I’ll be the first kit to actually do it.” She then said feeling a little pride in herself.

          Ambertail nodded. “Remember, if you end up failing, all the Clans will be no more. Several cats will be lost and others will flee. These are dangerous times for the Clans. You have to try your best.” Ambertail said.

          “I will.” Heatherkit said. She looked up into Ambertail’s brown eyes and she looked determined and scared, but ready. “I will not fail you.” She then said.

           “I know you won’t.” Ambertail said and nodded and then she faded away.

          Heatherkit awoke in her nest. She was alone in there, her mother and sisters outside the nursery. She heard crying and wailing. She got up and padded over to her mother. “What happened?” she then asked looking up at her mother.

          “Graystone has died. Poor Fluffbird…” Her mother replied not making eye contact with Heatherkit.

           Heatherkit gripped her claws in the ground. “No, no, no, no…” she muttered so no one else can hear her. If I am to save the Clans, I better act fast. Not much time before the Dark Forest takes over and everyone else dies.