6|"I think I would remember having kids."

"Hey mom." I lean in the door way watching the lady in the wheelchair stare out the window. I called her. I had to.

She slowly turns her head around and stares at me with disappointment. "Oh god." The room was quite spacious. A nice king bed towards the left, a whole living room set with a tv. Mom also had a desk with a computer set up. She has me to thank for all of her stuff. The only thing she was missing was a kitchen, but all the patients here eat at the cafeteria. I guess I couldn't have helped her there.

I sigh. "So I guess it's safe to say you're not excited about seeing your daughter?"

"I barely remember you. I think I would remember having kids." Unlike Eric and I, our mother has these stunning green eyes that I envy. She used to be fit, and busy, and booming with life. Now she's frail, pail, and she can't even remember her own children.

"Oh, but you do have kids. Two."

The blonde woman looks over her shoulder and examines me. "You look nothing like me. You don't have my eyes, or hair, certainly not my good looks, or my-"

I let out a bitter laugh and place my trench coat in my lap. "There goes the sickly bitch in the wheel chair judging me again."

"Personality. Personality I was going to say, but I guess you inherited that." She goes back to staring out her window. What's so great about this view? The only thing she can see is the courtyard full of patients that are just like her. "Why are you here?"

I push myself off from my leaning position and take out some paper work from my purse. "I need you to sign these." I plop the, on the desk.

"And if I don't want to?"

"Then you're going to have to find your own way to pay for this place." I snap at her.

She rolls her wheelchair towards me. "Have you been gaining weight? You look a little chubby? Unless you managed to get your self knocked up. Your aunt had a tendency of being a whore as well, so let's just hope-"

I hold up my hand. "Mother, just sign the paper work so I can leave."

Her eyes glimmer instead of their usual dead look. "Well if I knew that all I had to do was sign papers to get you to leave I would've done that by now." She grabs the pen I was holding out, and begins signing away.

My mom is sick if you can't already tell, but the doctors have no idea what's wrong with her. First she just started passing out, and having seizures. But as time goes on she started losing pieces of her memory. She can only remember certain things like getting married to my father or starting her fashion company, only happy moments. And apparently having children is not one of them.

Even though she is obviously psychologically inept to be signing these papers, I still need her to because nobody knows about her condition. She told me not to tell anyone. Everyone thinks she went to the mountains to go find herself or some crap like that. So I have to get these papers signed in secret, that's the only reason why I come here. The doctors tell me that if I visit more often, maybe that could help with her memory. But I doubt it. Besides, I think of her declining health as Karma, the bitch got what she deserved.

When she first got sick five years ago, I only agreed to keep her secret so Eric and I wouldn't get taken by social services. When I turn eighteen, I can apply to be Eric's official guardian. The only problem is our main source of income, mom's fashion company, hasn't been doing so well since she left. And her CEO is running it in her place, maybe I'm going to have to have a chat with him.

"There. Now can you go? I have a yoga class that I'm a few minutes late, and the instructor is so yummy."

"I didn't want to stay anyways." I rip the paper from her hands and shove them back in my purse. "Goodbye mother."

"Don't come back unless you're getting me out of here." She calls out after me as I slam the door.