Chapter Nine

"Are you ready?" Alec asked, rubbing Jumelle's shoulders to soothe her nerves. It didn't work, but she nodded anyway. He kissed her temple lightly and grabbed her hand, tugging her towards the exit of the Volturi castle where Jane, Felix and Demetri were waiting.

"Jumelle!"

Jumelle quickly stopped and spun around to see Heidi walking quickly towards her and Alec. Clearly getting impatient, Heidi ran at vampire speed and reached them within the second.

"Um, I thought you might want these." Heidi handed Jumelle a few photos.

"Heidi, where'd you get these?" Jumelle muttered as she flicked through the photos. There were a few of Alec and herself (one of at least every anniversary), some containing Jane and fewer with Demetri and Felix. Jumelle chuckled at some of the funnier ones; Felix and Alec wrestling (Felix won, of course), Jane and Alec arguing over who was more important to Jumelle (Alec won that battle) ...

"I, uh ... I printed out the photos that Jane and the boys took of some of these moments. Just thought the Cullens would like to see how you've gotten on these past six years."

"Wow, Heidi," Jumelle smiled, hugging her tightly. "Thank you." Whilst Heidi never showed it in front of Aro, Caius and Marcus, she did have a heart. A darn good one, too.

Jumelle pulled away from Heidi and Alec beamed down at Jumelle as she tucked the photos safely in her Volturi robes. "I'll be sure to leave them with the Cullens." Heidi nodded and quickly said goodbye to Demetri, Felix and Jane before heading back into the castle.

Jumelle turned back around to the other three Volturi members, still gripping Alec's hand tightly.

"Let's do this."

- - -

"Jane. What a surprise."

Jumelle gulped at the familiar voice of her grandfather as she and the Volturi members stood on the front porch of the Cullen house. Alec squeezed Jumelle's hand reassuringly; not like it'd calm the crazy nerves inside her.

"We came to see the child," Jane said simply, her voice the usual cold and emotionless tone it was when on a job.

Carlisle nodded and stepped aside to invite them into his home. "Very well. We expected you about now."

Jane stepped over the threshold first, followed quickly by Felix, then Demetri. Jumelle stood stock still for a moment, therefore keeping Alec still as well. He released her hand quickly, but not before Carlisle's sharp eyes caught the movement.

Ignoring Carlisle's staring as best she could, Jumelle stepped over the threshold and into the familiar home of the Cullens. Alec growled behind her, warning Carlisle to stop his staring, and a sudden movement caught Jumelle's eye. Her head whipped round to the left and her eyes widened slightly.

Emmett was standing there, muscly as ever. His eyes were a light butterscotch, revealing that he'd hunted quite recently. Jumelle gulped, remembering the time where she had hunted animals.

Alec stepped in front of Jumelle protectively, growling warningly at Emmett. Emmett made no move to attack, he just stood there as some sort of protective barrier to the other Cullens.

Felix suddenly appeared at Jumelle's side and gripped her arm tightly, almost drawing blood. He practically dragged Jumelle into the living room where she was utterly shocked to see her entire family spread out before her.