prologue

Memories are reflections of the soul. Memories make you who you are. 

Some may argue that it is experience or your family that molds you. You must ask yourself, what keeps those experiences or those teachings from your elders with you from childhood to your adult life?

Memories hold power. Memories hold comfort. Memories hold sadness. Memories hold identity.

But if you have no memories, who will you grow to become? You are left without a starting place. With no roots, no foundation.

Of all the things I ever wanted to forget, I never thought about what it would be like to not even remember what they were. To have an ever-present inkling, an internal itch inside that tells of wrongdoing, but not be able to place your finger on it. To be in a dark room and be constantly attacked on all sides and not know where they were coming from; that's what she is going through. 

Watching her, over time, her mind has simply stopped searching for the cause of the pain she had found herself enduring. She subconsciously grew to be aware of the pain and the pain alone. Upon further questioning and observation, I have come to realize that she forgets that she's in pain. I don't think she recognizes it as pain anymore. As a patron of the Queen, it is my duty to teach the child how to live and function until her reign comes to an end. I'm supposed to be an example. 

But how can I, when every time I look at that child, at her tortured eyes, I hate myself more and more for allowing her to suffer?

If memories are reflections of the soul, but you have none to reflect on...I can only conclude that the soul is missing some pieces.

- Journal entry of Tomoe Senotakai, Patron Of the Sixth and Seventh Dragon Queens