Come What May

"I haven't had hardly any sleep these past two days!" Tsuyoi stretched her arms over her head as she walked down the  hall. Naruto walked beside her, a hand on his stomach. He'd eaten six bowls of ramen and got a stomachache. Tsuyoi had eaten nine, and her belly hadn't even growled. "Was it really just yesterday when I met you? Why has it seemed like I've known you forever?"

Naruto smiled at her but didn't answer. Tsuyoi paused, turning to look at him. 

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

He glanced at her, then looked at the ceiling, flushing. "No."

"You've forgotten I can see in your mind if I want to, you fool," Tsuyoi put her hands on her hips. "Don't make me look in there."

"Uh..." He put his hands behind his head and made his dope face. "I don't wanna tell you."

"What is it, you idiot? Just say it!" Tsuyoi poked his chest with a finger.

"No." He shook his head stubbornly.

A vein popped out on Tsuyoi's temple. She reached out, fast like a flash of lightning. She grabbed his face with her good hand and pulled him close so their foreheads touched. 

"No, no, wait, I'll tell you!" Naruto sputtered and fought against her touch; Tsuyoi pinched his cheeks until he was still. 

"Too late." She closed her eyes and focused, sorting through his wild thoughts and emotions. In her mind's eye, she saw everything in colors and aimed her attention at a brightly pulsing red somewhere near the middle. It glowed brighter than the rest. She reached for it, tentatively. 

Tsuyoi...Tsuyoi is... He was frantically trying to hide the thought. I...Tsuyoi...I...we...I want...Tsuyoi...

"I like your hair!" Naruto blurted out loud. 

"Huh?" Tsuyoi blinked her eyes open. Before she could blink again, he'd wrenched his face away and grabbed her wrist. "My hair?"

Naruto's cheeks were stained bright pink. "I said I l-like your hair. The color. It's so...green."

Tsuyoi and Naruto stared at each other for a moment, neither moving. Tsuyoi's face flushed. There was a heavy pause. Naruto's blue eyes glowed beneath the candlelight. I like everything about you. Your hair, your eyes, and your smile. She didn't know whose thought it was, but it was obvious that the feeling was mutual. Tsuyoi cracked a smile first, beaming. Both of them collapsed into giggling fits, bubbling and growing until their laughter was echoing off  the walls. Naruto lowered his hands but didn't let go of her wrists.

When their laughter died down, Tsuyoi gently pulled her hand out of Naruto's and reached them up to the tie in her hair. She pulled it out, letting it spill over her shoulders and  frame her face. Her hair had grown out, reaching the small of her back. "Do you like it when I wear it like this?"

He studied her for a moment, his face a mix of embarrassment and uncertainty. "I like it any way you wear it."

He's serious. Actually, I think he was confused as to why I asked in the first place. Tsuyoi smiled again and started walking, not waiting to see if Naruto was following. He hurried to walk by her side again. "If Natsukashii is awake, why can't I hear her talking like you can hear Kurama?" He asked, the blush fading in his cheeks.

Tsuyoi shrugged, then stopped to push the door open that led to her room. "I don't know. I know she's awake, so maybe she's still not fully conscious yet. I wish Hayate could tell me."