Revelation

WE'RE BACK!" Naruto shouted at the top of his lungs as soon as he pushed past the door.

"Subtle, Naruto. Real subtle," Tsuyoi grumbled.

"Wait, I think I hear someone!" Sakura's voice echoed somewhere in the distance. "We're coming!"

Tsuyoi and Naruto stood, hand in hand. She felt a headache start to probe her, and she scrunched up her eyes. The electric lights were on in the main hallway tonight instead of the candles being lit. Chizu typically did this once or twice a month, using the generator on the far side of the monastery. Tsuyoi didn't like it. It made Naruto's eyes look too sharp. Or maybe it was his expression.

She studied him, from the whisker-marks on his cheeks to the smooth metal of his headband. She felt herself relax some, felt her shoulders loosen. She didn't know why this stranger cared about her so much, but she was grateful for it. I'd be a murderer without him... I'd still be in the dark without him. ..I would never have known what love felt like...if it wasn't for him.

She glanced at their clasped hands. Is this actually what love feels like? It definitely feels good... She did a double take. He was squeezing so tightly his knuckles were white, like he was sure she'd bolt if given the opportunity.

"What's wrong, Naruto—"

"Tsuyoi! Naruto!" Sakura's voice came again, closer this time. A heartbeat later, the pink haired girl rounded the corner. Tsuyoi shifted towards Naruto, hiding their hands. Behind Sakura came the whole parade—Tomoe and Fukuo, decked in new kimonos that she'd never seen before. Tomoe's had cranes on it; Fukuo's had budding rose buds. They were followed by Kakashi, also wearing a kimono. Sakura was, too. Sai appeared in a one that was darker than a shadow. Tsuyoi marveled at the material.

The only one missing was Chizu.

"Oh, Tsuyoi, we've all looking for you!" Tomoe darted towards Tsuyoi.

The look in her patron's eyes struck fear into her heart. She looked like a starved tiger that had had a big juicy hunk of meat dangled in front of her. Tsuyoi released Naruto's hand and started to back away, but she was not fast enough. Tomoe gripped her arms and pulled, almost wrenching them out of the sockets. She yanked her close and buried her face into her hair. "Don't you ever run away from us again."

Tsuyoi froze. "I wasn't running from you, eonni. I was, I mean, we were—"

"No matter what you've done, we will always accept you." Fukuo joined the hug. "You've definitely grown up into a beautiful young woman. Naruto certainly thinks so."

"What the hell do you think we did?!" Tsuyoi exclaimed hotly.

Listen...for the memories...Tsuyoi.

Tsuyoi froze. Naruto? Memories suddenly swirled through her head. Tomoe putting wrapping her fingers in bandages after she'd sliced them open on her katana by accident. Fukuo sneaking her bread when Chizu had sent her to bed with no dinner. Tomoe straightening out her arms as she held a manriki-kusari for the first time. The both of them singing to her. They've been with me...all this time. I just didn't see it. I couldn't remember it, so I thought I was all alone. But that's no excuse. Tsuyoi felt something warm blossom in her chest. She peeked over Tomoe's shoulder to see Naruto smiling at her. I told you so.

Shut up, she sent back, returning his smile.

"Do you understand us, Tsuyoi Arakawa? Never push us away ever again!" Tomoe's voice shook. "Even if you've been doing things that you've had no business!"

"What the hell, Tomoe?" Tsuyoi said, hugging her back. Her patron laughed in her hair. "Okay."

"And Tsuyoi? Your shinobi tells me that you and he have a plan to keep you alive," Tomoe whispered in her ear.