What A Boy Named Neji Taught Me

Life is like a long tunnel.

There's darkness.

There's fear.

These words drifted through Naruto's head as he ran through the corridors of the monastery.

There's temptation. There's failure.

"What is this voice?" Naruto growled aloud. It was distracting him.

Something of Tsuyoi's. Her amnesia is really bad. I don't know how she's managed to function for so long like this. Kurama said thoughtfully. Naruto's biju kept quiet most of the time, so for him to intervene now meant something serious was going on.

"Kurama, why did you tell her to name her Dragon Spirit the other day?" Naruto asked.

Something inside her...was calling out to me. Something you couldn't hear, apparently. There's more to her Dragon Spirit than she thinks...probably more than what she's been told. Everything about this set up is twisted beyond belief. Maybe naming the Spirit will bring some clarity to everything.

Naruto turned around another corner and paused.

What are you doing? Kurama asked.

"Following the yuimaru," his jinchuuriki said absentmindedly.

Kurama huffed. He really didn't like this whole yuimaru thing. Even though he was able to communicate with Naruto, the bond between him and the girl was, in fact, in between the two of them. Kurama couldn't access it at all.

"It's the..second door to the left," he muttered to himself. He trailed his hand along the wall until it brushed against the second knob. His hand closed around it. He gripped it tight, till veins stood out against his skin.

What's wrong? Kurama asked, concerned.

"How do I help her? What if I'm not what she needs?" Naruto said quietly. "What if I'm not...enough for her?"

Kurama huffed again. Something brought us here for a reason. How will you know if you don't try, you moron?

Naruto took a deep breath in, then loosened his grip on the knob. "You're right...as usual, Kurama."

Damn straight, Kurama snorted.

Naruto breathed in deep one more time. Then he twisted the knob and pushed the door open wide.

Neither one of them was prepared for what they saw.

A single lantern was lit, but it provided just enough light for them to see the ugly black scorch marks on the walls. They looked ghastly, like gaping, screaming faces. Dresser drawers were thrown open, clothes and paper scattered across the room. A smashed table. There was broken glass on the floor.

But through all the hardships of the tunnel, there is something propelling us humans to reach the light at the end of it.

That voice from earlier.

And Tsuyoi was sprawled on the floor, in the darkest corner of the room, spiky hair spread all around her head, smoke drifting up from her mouth. Her half-opened eyes look watered-down, listless. On the floor next to her lay two katanas with sleek black blades.

Naruto hadn't felt his legs move, but now he was standing over her.

"Tsuyoi..."

Her eyes slid over to him, traveling up his body to his face. At least she was responsive.

"That dream was something, wasn't it?" He found himself saying. "It was scary."

She just stared vacantly.