Chapter 4: The Two Yokai

Sorry, this is so short!

(Y/n)'s P.O.V.

The fox stares at me, his eyes wide. His image is captivating, with long white hair and a handsome face. I struggle to sit up, but manage eventually. I wince at the fabric of my clothes rubbing against the wounds.We sit in silence. Perhaps my words moved him?
"Who are you?" he says at last.

I give him a defiant glare, refusing to answer. He glares right back with beautiful, dark blue eyes.

"Not going to talk, I see," he remarks. My face heats up. Something about his gaze makes me nervous. "Do you work for Akura ou?" I ask suspiciously. 

"I am not his servant." He laughs. "Though, I was planning on doing him a favor," he glances at me, "...but I don't feel like it anymore."

In the distance, I hear the loud sound of a gong. The fox looks up towards the sky. "I need to be going," he says. I stand up, nearly falling, but I keep myself grounded. He doesn't seem like he's going to kill me anymore. Still on guard, I walk to my katana and sheath it. He does not go after me. I look at him one last time. He stares at me with an unreadable expression on his face. What is he thinking? I take my chance and run off into the forest, not looking back.

What just happened? As I walk through the forest in silence, my head reeling, I realize who he is, and why in the back of my mind he seemed so familiar. That white hair, those piercing eyes...anyone could have guessed. 

That was Tomoe. One of the most feared yokai in Japan.

I had never seen him before, but I did know of him, from paintings, stories, and such... And what I saw today is not what I had been expecting. He was different than the others...

Perhaps the fox is not as evil as I thought...