Chapter 25: "Just Pretend"

TDWT: Miranda's Way (Episode 25: Planes, Trains, and Hot Air Mobiles)

Miranda's POV:

I woke up with my ears aching from my earbuds.

I took them out and rubbed my ears, sighing from how much they hurt.

I looked around at my surroundings. The sun was so bright but I could see the ruins of the plane and Chris sitting by them. Cody was digging through them as Sierra tried to crawl over to help.

Alejandro was sitting on the boulder, watching. I tried not to stare at him, but looking at him brought back memories of when I was happy.

I got up, stretching and rubbing my eyes. I walked over to Chris, patting his back.

"How're you holding up?" I asked gently.

He sighed. "It's tough."

"I know, Chris. I know." I said sadly.

"You good to compete?" he asked.

I paused, hesitating. "I mean...I can, but...I don't want to."

"As long as you're able, you must compete. At least at this point. You could've quit at any point before this, but now you're stuck here."

"I understand. I'll compete."

He sighed as Alejandro walked over to us. I blushed, hiding my hands behind my back.

Chris continued to sulk. "The hot tub with my name spelled out in Italian tiles, gone. My monogrammed sneakers, gone. My custom calibrated stubble trimmer, gone."

Alejandro and I shot each other confused looks on that last one.

"So, shall we continue the game?" Ale asked.

"Yeah, Chris. I think it's for the best."

"As usual, you two are thinking of nothing but yourselves."

I rolled my eyes.

Cody was pushing some rubble aside to find anything that survived the explosion.

"Could we get some help over here?"

Chris continued. "What about the bigger humanitarian crisis? How am I supposed to keep this face fresh without my hyperbolic chamber?"

Sierra was lifted out of the wreckage by Cody and back over to where she was. In pain, I might add.

By some miracle, the confessional camera survived, along with most of the room itself, so I went to use it.

"I guess now that Sierra's out, I can ally with Cody. But... helping Sierra feels like the right thing to do. I might as well try to do something right for a change. After my screw up with Alejandro, all my confidence has been drained. I feel like coming here was all a big mistake. I never would've been able to hurt him if I hadn't auditioned. Hell, I never would've fallen in love with him! Which would've been better for the both of us."

So, I found a wheelchair for Sierra, and one of the headdresses from Easter Island to cover her head.

Cody helped her into the chair and I put the headdress on her.

"Does it look okay?" she asked.

"Of course." I smiled.

She looked away and I shrugged silently to Cody.

She looked decent enough, I suppose.

Suddenly, Chef pushed out a giant metal box from the ruins.