sixteen

You can hear the bass before you even turn onto the street. Wiping my clammy hands on my skinny jeans, I turn to look at Calum.

"Are you sure about this?" I ask, and he confidently nods.

"It'll help you get your mind off of things, and it's just a small Christmas party," Cal says, matter of factly. I knew it was anything but small; the volume of the music proved that. Sighing, I adjust the red beanie on my head and look out the window.

"Christmas is two weeks away."

"So?" Calum asks.

"This better be worth a two hour drive."

Calum and I enter the large house hand in hand, something we always did at parties to make sure the other didn't get lost. We side step a handful of dancers, walking past at least three couples playing tonsil hockey. We're handed drinks but I discard mine on the way to the backyard. Since Calum couldn't hold his alcohol, I was donned the designated driver for the night. That meant making sure Calum didn't get into any serious trouble.

"What's the plan?" I ask, nerves getting the best of me. I never really liked parties, nor big crowds of people. If it was up to me, I'd be at home binge watching shows on Netflix and eating pizza.

"Have fun," Calum states.

"If that's the plan, I'll be going home then." I joke, and he narrows his eyes at me. We finally make it to the back yard when Calum sighs.

"I'm taking one for the team. Tonight, you're gonna get wasted." He suddenly decides, the Christmas lights on the deck shining onto him. The multicolored lights contrasted nicely with his caramel colored skin. I raise an eyebrow.

"Even if I wanted to get drunk, which I don't, who would drive us home?" I counter, knowing Calum couldn't stop himself from taking a few drinks.

"I will. You're going to have fun tonight Andy. And that's final." He decides, folding his arms. I roll my eyes.

"Fine," I sigh. "You better watch over me."

>>

At some point I manage to lose Calum, and I'm pulled into a room by some girl. For whatever reason, I couldn't remember her name. Nora? Nellie? Whatever it was, it started with an N. Other teens were sitting in a half circle, and she pulls me to make up some of it.

"Guys, this is Andy. Andy, this is Cara, Jules, Alex, Kyle, Kendra, Wes, and I'm pretty sure you know Ashton, he goes to View Point. Oh, by the way if you forgot, I'm Nova." The girl says. Nova! That's it! I make eye contact with Ashton in amazement. At school he was known as a quiet artsy guy, who would've known he could party too?

"Where's the others?" A guy, Wes I'm pretty sure, asks. Cara laughs.

"Where do you think? They're toking up in Melanie's room." She answers, and I find myself nodding. What was a party without a group of stoners?

"So, Andy, you live in View Point?" Cara asks, moving to sit next to me. I nod.

"Yeah, apparently you Lockwood people know how to party," I joke, and she laughs.

"Funny, I like you."

"I know, right? I talked to her for a little earlier and knew she wasn't like everyone down there," Nova says from my right. I find myself raising an eyebrow. Everyone down there?

"What does that mean?" I ask. Nova and Cara exchange a look, and it's then I realize that they're sisters. Their hair was almost the same shade of dark blonde, and if it wasn't for the same expression they had, I would've never noticed.