Chapter 33

I ran past the pool of dried blood, I ran past all the splats of blood, I ran past everything, all of the killings, all of the fear that now tightened my skin. I didn't stop until I stood outside Padmore's home.

  I screamed to the air, screamed as loud as I could go, screamed until my throat hurt. I screamed even as Padmore ran outside to hold me together, screamed until I couldn't breathe, but even then, I didn't stop. 

 I fell to the ground, tears blurred my vision, my fists dug into the grass. Padmore tried to reassure me that everything was fine, I was back and they were gone, but my mind didn't stop screaming out.

  Padmore mentioned Cam, then my screaming stopped dead. I stared at him with wide eyes, he smiled, glad to see my attention focused on something else. He held my shivering body, and told me what Cam had done after I had been knocked out. 

  He didn't listen to me, he had come after me. At first, there was anger, intense anger surged through my body, then it was pain, why would he do that for me? I told him to stay behind because I wanted to keep him safe.

  "Where is he? Did Timmy take him?" I panicked, Padmore shook his head, "He couldn't carry both of you, so he left him bleeding on the grass. I brought him back in and cleaned him up. He's sleeping right now, which is a wonder." He winked, and I flushed. 

  "What happened Casey?" He asked as he walked me back into the living room.

  I sighed as he sat me down in a recliner. I told him everything. From the minute I blacked out, to the screaming scene outside. He brought me a large cup of tea and a bottle of water. I drained the water then gladly took the tea to heal my throat. 

  He listened deeply to every word I said, and didn't flinch when I had told him about Louis and Timmy. Just nodded in understanding.

  "I feel bad, but I know it's what has to be done to survive." I whispered, and Padmore nodded, squeezing my hand.

  I stood up, "Can I see Cam?" 

  He nodded, "The same room you were in. They'll be glad to see you." He motioned to the stairs. 

  They'll? I almost stopped as I smiled at him in thanks, and made my way up the stairs, who's they? My mind first went to the beautiful women with the short black hair, and my stomach erupted in butterflies. I would be glad to finally meet her, know who she is. I wonder where she went?

 I smiled as I walked up, finally being able to see Cam, first yell at him for being so stupid, then hugging him, I don't think I'd want to let go.

  I reached the upper landing, and my eyes drifted to the third floor, where the framed picture of this woman sit clean and untouched. My body wanted me to climb higher, but my mind told me to stay, go see Cam and whoever else lay behind the door. 

  I slowly walked down the hallway, and stood outside the door I knew so well. After I had been shot, this room was all I'd known. I glanced down at my waist, at the gauze still firmly wrapped around me. I gripped it tightly and made to tug it off, but it stayed firmly in place. I sighed in confusion, I would just get Padmore to professionally take it off later on.

  I gripped the handle, the butterflies flying around faster and faster, and pushed it open. The sun blinded me momentarily, then my eyes filled with tears, my gasps turned into choked sobs, my breathing sped up as I saw who sat in the chair Cam so recently occupied. 

  Jess turned towards the door as he heard it open, after staring at Cam's sleeping form, his eyes were sad. He stood up just as fast as I rushed towards him, I had no hope of seeing where I was going, tears flooded my vision.