Chapter 17

He jingled the keys until Cam put out his hand. He dropped them in, and smiled. I stuttered, but couldn't get the words out. 

  "Sam... what is this?" Jess said, although I was almost sure that he already knew.

  "Casey, Jess, Cam, I have been thinking, and I think the fastest way to ever get anywhere, is by car. So I rented one for you, don't worry, you have my card, you can just email me the address, and we can ship the car back in a few weeks." He smiled again, and started trudging away, but I slipped out of Cam's grasp, and ran after him. He turned at the sound of my footsteps, and I hit him. Hard.

  I gasped and so did he, as I hugged him with all my strength. "Sam, I couldn't thank you enough, really. This means..." I couldn't finish, I was close to tears, and my eyes were already sore. He took a few seconds, but his arms wrapped around mine protectively. He chuckled, and I could almost hear the warmth radiating from his face.

  Jess and Cam came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder, I realized we've been standing like this for more then normal. I blushed, and stepped back. 

  "Really, Casey. I'd be mad at myself if I just let you kids walk out of here with nothing. I do have something else for you, though." He turned on his heel, and hurried out of the room. I starting rushing to the exit. 

  "Casey! Don't be rude!" Jess scolded. 

  "No more gifts, Sam! This is already too much!" I hollered in the general direction he escaped us from.

  Cam laughed quite loudly at my apperance, having bent my back trying to yell, as I was running.

  Sam came back into the room, as I was trying to push a 'pull' door. He rolled his eyes, and stolled over to Cam and Jess, still standing in the middle of the foyer. He handed them a big box, he was grunting as he placed it in Cam's open hands, who didn't even flinch at the weight.

  "Really, Sam, we should be going, come on. I want to go home." I whispered the last part.

*****

"This car is amazing! I mean, hear that purr?! It's so silent and fast that Avrey could never spot us!" Jess gushed as we sped down the highway. 

  "Don't you guys ever think about where we are?" I interrupted Jess, and he scowled. Jess turned his eyes back to the road, a thoughtful look caressed his face. He didn't answer. I snuggled closer to Cam. His arms lay around me. He tightened them as we drove on.

  "Sometimes, the only thing I focus on is where we're headed," Cam whispered down to me, "and where we need to go. The things around us help with that, you know." His warm breath fell upon my  ear, making me sigh.

  Jess' eyes flickered to us huddled together in the back seat for less then a second, I was starting to wonder if it really happened.

  The last thing I remember is being warm, and comfortable in Cam's arms, then I was in a forest. Running. I was really tired, really worn out. I know I wanted to sit down, but I felt this fear in me. There was an opening, and I was sprinting for it, but it seemed like it was getting farther and farther away with every step I took.

  I heard a laugh behind me, and turned to see nothing. Nothing but forest, darkness, and green. A lot of green. It was a little girls laugh, and small one, maybe five or six. But there was nobody there. 

  I broke through the opening as she laughed again, and I fell. Straight into the rushing, tough waters of the ocean.

   I woke up on the ground, very hard, very hot. Too hot. Uncomfortable. I coughed, and tried to open my eyes, but all I saw was more darkness. Was I awake? I shook my head, and tried to sit up, then I realized I was on the roof of the car we were driving in. What happened?