Chapter 9

There we stood, helpless and defenseless, within 5 feet of the two men we were trying to get away from. Two men we had to fight to get out of here alive.

  Cam stood breathing hard, from holding my weight, and from seeing his dads friends. He knew they felt betrayal, and most of all, anger. They were no longer holding back. 

  Cam opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

 Jess moved his foot backwards an inch, and Camual's eyes flew right to the movement.

 "Look, we don't want anymore trouble. We just want to go home, please." I spoke no louder then a breath, but it was quiet enough in the barn to hear a piece of hay drop.

  Shamal tisk tisked, shaking his head and closing his eyes.

  "That wasn't Avrey's orders. It seems as if... well, we'll have to kill you. Although Avrey won't be happy at all, he was saving that little bit for himself. Cam, your father would be ashamed of your behavior. How dare you move to the other side!" He tisk tisked again.

  I gasped just as Jess spoke in a loud, brave voice.

"No, he would be proud. He should be anyway. The way you all have been acting? It's wrong. What do you know about Avrey?" Jess growled. 

  Camual smiled a toothless grin, and not only because he didn't show his teeth, but because he didn't have much to begin with!

  "Dear, dear, child. We know more about Avrey then you'll believe. We just happened to be in those woods on that very day. We killed Conner because he betrayed us. Almost like you have, Cam. We might have to kill you, too." He shrugged, almost as if he didn't care if he killed his friends only son.

  They started to come forward, but we had to keep them talking, just long enough to find an escape route.

  "But wait, what did he do so horrible that you just HAD to kill the guy? He seemed nice enough. He tried to shoo my family out of harms way. Are you sure you didn't kill him... just because you wanted to?" I said, grunting from the pain in my knee every few seconds.

  They stopped moving immediately, and Shamal growled under his breath.

  "We killed him because he betrayed our loyalty! He didn't deserve us! He didn't deserve the family we took him from! He wanted to leave us. His new wife was pregnant. He didn't like what we did, and unless we changed that, he was going to leave. We started cussing at him, shouting, only to make him realize what he was going to lose if he left. His life." Shamal said, looking down. He was remembering the day.

  "You killed him because he wanted a better life! You think he wanted to tell his unborn child what he did for a living?! 'Don't worry son, I may kill people for no reason, but I'll never kill you! One day you can join me!'" I said in a mocking tone.

  Jess and Cam both put their hands on my shoulder, trying to calm me down. It worked once Cam's hit me.

  Camual and Shamal both laughed. They didn't care one bit about any other person then themselves. I became angrier. I growled.

 I tried to take a step forward. I wanted them to hurt. I wanted them to feel the pain they caused my friends and family since we've been here. I wanted them gone out of this world.

  Jess wrapped his arms tighter around me, holding me back. I turned my head towards him, begging him to let me go, to let me hurt them like they hurt me. Like they hurt Jess.

  Camual seemed to see me try to step forward, and he stopped laughing.

  "Want a piece, little girl? C'mon, come here. Try your hardest." He smiled a mocking smile, waiting for me to pounce.