Chapter 14

I gulped, and gasped at the same time, so it sounded more like a choked sob, which is what I was trying to hold in. The tears. For Jess, I had to hold them behind. I was counting on this to be a way out, a free escape to the real world, before you realized you could be killed, before you were running for your life. Man, I missed that.

  With my back still to the murderers, I turned my eyes to my right, where Jess stood frozen, staring at these two men with hatred, and... what was that? 

  "Look, we don't want any trouble, we just want to go home." Cam whispered. I looked to the left of me, and his eyes were flashing from the men, to the ground. I turned around slowly, and grabbed Cam's hand, the bigger one, wearing the tank top, didn't miss the movement.

  He looked back toward me, then smirked, but the thinner dude responded, "Either my eyes are lying to me, or you're Cam, Casey, and Jess." he calmly stated. 

  His chocolate brown eyes snapped in my direction, then down at Cam's and my hands intertwined together.

  I opened my mouth to spit a lie, but Jess spoke before I did.

  "What's it to you?" he spit at them, shaking from anger. I let go of Cam's hand, and reached towards Jess, taking his hand instead. He took the hint, and didn't move toward the men.

  "What is it to us? Well, we're just in the neighborhood, when I get a call from my... friend. He told me to keep a look out for you three," he raised his hand in our direction, "and if I were to find you, to call him ASAP. Timmy, what's the number again?" The bigger man said, actually smiling now, completely showing the crooked, yellow teeth.

  Timmy. If only I knew his last time, we could call Officer... 

  It hit me, we could still call Officer Samual!! All I needed were a few seconds, all I had to tell him was that we were in danger, and he could get the police department over here in minutes! I gasped aloud, and the four others turned to stare.

  Timmy and his friend must have thought I was scared, because they only moved faster, Timmy dialing numbers very slowly, dispite the speed they were trying to move, and the bigger one calling out more numbers. One by one. 

  I stepped closer to Jess, and turned my back in the oppisite direction as the men. The small cell was in my back pocket, if Jess could reach his hand down there, as both of mine were in plain view, too much, that if I even twitched, they would see it. 

  "Dammit, why won't he answer?! I'm trying once more, and if he doesn't answer..." Timmy didn't bother to finish his threat. Just groaned in frustration. We could have booked it, we even could have gotten away, but neither of us moved. 

  He had the phone to his ear again, although I didn't see him try a first time, so I moved closer to Jess. 

  "Jess," I breathed. 

 He flickered his eyes over, to show he was paying attention. I needed a way to tell him to take the phone, so I can distract them, and he could call Sam. 

  "Take the phone out of my back pocket. Sam." I said as quiet as I could, eyes on the men at all times. Neither of them noticed our little communication. 

  Jess nodded, and reached down for the phone, the bigger guy's eyes twitched, and Jess froze, Cam looked over at us, and stepped forward toward the men. What was he doing?

  "Boys, boys, it looks as if you're dialing the wrong number. Who wrote this note for you?" Cam said, calmly, folding his arms.

   "Avrey did, obviously, look at his messy scrawl." Timmy said. I raised up on my toes to see the note they were showing Jess. These men are not too bright. Who shows the one they wanna kill, something so highly easy to confuse? Avrey hired these men?