Chapter 4

"K-Kageyama... Why- why do you have this...?"

"It's just a..." Kageyama trailed off. He had no clue what to say.

"Kageyama! Why do you have this?!"

Kageyama was frozen. His mouth wouldn't move.

Eventually, he mustered up enough courage to speak.

"Okay, fine. Hinata... I should- I should tell you something."

"Yeah?"

"Please... Just please... Hear me out."

"Of course," Hinata said, taking the situation more seriously than Kageyama expected.

"You can't tell anyone what I'm going to tell you, okay? Please."

Hinata just nodded.

"Okay... I- I'm... Hinata- I'm the one. I'm the one who... killed your father."

"Y-you're the one? Y-you killed my f-father...?" Hinata said after a while of silence.

"I-I'm a professional assassin," Kageyama said, staring at the ground. He averted his eyes from Hinata's stare.

Then Hinata did something completely unexpected.

...He hugged Kageyama.

"Kageyama, thank you. My dad... He was a very bad man. He beat up my mother and sometimes even my little sister too... I'll- I'll never forgive him!" Hinata burst into tears, clinging onto Kageyama's shirt. The smaller boy buried his head in Kageyama's chest and cried. "K-Kageyama, thank you!"

"Hinata... You're not upset...? I-I'm a murderer..."

Hinata looked up to meet Kageyama's eyes.

"You only kill bad guys, right?"

"No... I- I kill for money. It's my job."

Hinata didn't say anything for a while. He finally pulled away from Kageyama and sat on the hotel bed. He took a few moments to relax, then he spoke.

"You're an assassin?"

"Yeah... I've been in this line of work for almost four years now."

"How'd you... You know... Start?"

"I can't really tell you too much. Sorry."

"That's okay. I understand," Hinata said. "Let's get to my house before my mother starts to worry."

Kageyama was surprised. "You're still letting me sleep over?"

"Of course!" Hinata said. His usual upbeat attitude was clearly back.

What was with this boy?

...

"Now, Hinata," Kageyama said as they walked towards Hinata's house, "you know you can't tell your family about my job."

"Of course! No problem."

"You promise?"

"Of course!" Hinata said. He'd completely returned to normal, as if the scene in Kageyama's hotel room less than thirty minutes ago hadn't occurred in the first place.

They walked side by side on the sidewalk silently. Hinata skipped a few paces ahead as usual. When the pair arrived at Hinata's house, Hinata opened the front door with his house key and walked inside. He took Kageyama's suitcase and guitar case and put them aside at the bottom of the stairs so he could take them up to the guest room after dinner.

Kageyama waited by the front door as Hinata ran to get his mother in the kitchen. After a few minutes, Hinata ran back and brought Kageyama to the kitchen.

"Mom, Natsu, this is Kageyama. He's my new friend!"

Kageyama was surprised. Although Hinata had said it before, Kageyama just figured it was to get Hinata's mother to agree to letting him stay the night. He didn't realize it before, but it actually seemed like Hinata considered Kageyama to be a friend. And to think Kageyama had killed his father just a few days ago.

Kageyama didn't know much about what Hinata's father had done, but it must've been pretty bad to cause Hinata to be happy he was dead. Hinata wasn't the type to hold grudges from what Kageyama has seen.

"So this is Kageyama? What a sweet-looking boy!"

"This is the amazing boy you've been talking about?" Natsu asked.

Kageyama was surprised. Again. This little orange-haired boy and the people around him were full of surprises.

"Yeah!"

"Hinata, Kageyama, help me set the table for dinner, all right?"

The two teens set the table and ate dinner. Their dinner was steak with mashed potatoes. Kageyama happily ate his dinner, considering he hadn't had a real meal like that in a while.

They finished, cleaned up, and went upstairs. Hinata showed Kageyama to the guest room.

"This is where you'll stay for a while."

"For a while?"

"Yeah! Until you find somewhere else to stay."

"Hinata, I really appreciate you letting me stay here. But I'll be gone in a few days. My manager is going to hook me up with a job and I'll be on my way."

"What? You can't leave!"

"Hinata, I'm an assassin. I can't stay in one place for too long."

"I know! But I want you here with me!"

Kageyama was shocked.

"...You want me here... with you..?"