Chapter 17

It was time for Kageyama to start researching his target.

He researched for days and days until the day after tomorrow was his deadline.

...

It was the last day to kill his target.

Kageyama aimed his gun. He shot, but he missed and hit his target in the leg.

His target fell down, his leg dripping blood.

"Tch, how'd I miss?!" Kageyama growled. But deep inside, he knew why. He was still upset about leaving Hinata without a word. And that messed up his concentration.

He aimed again. This time he didn't miss and the bullet entered his target's skull. He collapsed, dead.

Kageyama bolted. With his speed, the police would never be able to catch up even if they were nearby, but he ran as fast as he could anyways.

When Kageyama finally got back to his hotel, he slipped in and went to his room.

His mission was a success.

And now, Kageyama could go back to Hinata. He smiled at the thought.

That night, Kageyama slept peacefully for the first time in two weeks.

...

It was Christmas morning.

...Kageyama was waiting outside Hinata's door.

Taking a deep breath, he rang the doorbell.

Kageyama waited awkwardly at the door for a while, shoving his hands in his warm coat. He watched his breath create little clouds of fog in the air. The snow around him glistened in the morning sunlight.

The front door finally opened. Hinata peered around the door.

"Kageyama!!" he shouted, hugging the assassin.

Kageyama blushed.

After a while, Hinata said something. "You left me..." Hinata mumbled into Kageyama's coat.

"I'm sorry, Hinata... I had to complete a mission. But I made sure to be back by Christmas. I didn't want you to..." Kageyama paused for a second before continuing.

"...spend Christmas alone," he finished.

Hinata looked up at him. "Thank you, Kageyama!"

Hinata gave Kageyama a bright smile.

"I'm so sorry I left... I- I missed your smile..." Kageyama mumbled, blushing and trying to cover his blush with his hand.

Hinata giggled and smiled, which made Kageyama smile too. "Kageyama, come on! Let's eat breakfast!!"

Hinata dragged Kageyama inside. Kageyama dropped his bag in the hallway and closed the door. He followed Hinata to the kitchen.

"Mom, look!! Kageyama is back!"

"Ah, that's wonderful! Kageyama, come sit with us!"

Kageyama sat down beside Hinata and began to eat.

Later that day, they opened presents.

"Kageyama, you didn't come back in time for your birthday..." Hinata said.

Kageyama blinked in surprise. He'd forgotten when his birthday was. But now he remembered. It was the 22nd of December.

"Oh- I forgot about that..."

"So I- I made you this!" Hinata said, running to the kitchen and returning a few seconds later with a large plate.

"What is...?"

"It's- it's a chocolate cheesecake! When we went to the bakery... You seemed to really like it, so I thought I'd make you one..."

"A chocolate cheesecake...?"

"Go ahead, please try some," Hinata's mother said. "Hinata worked very hard on it."

Hinata handed Kageyama a spoon.

Kageyama hesitantly took a piece. He took a bite. It was...

...delicious.

A tear fell down Kageyama's face. It tasted exactly like his mother's.

"K-Kageyama...?" Hinata asked, worried.

Another tear dripped down Kageyama's face. "Thank you..." he said quietly.