Chapter 15

School had finally ended. Hinata and Kageyama walked home.

It had stopped snowing, but it was still freezing outside.

Honestly, Kageyama hated the cold weather that came with the beginning of December.

But Hinata seemed to love the cold, which Kageyama found odd.

"Why do you like the cold so much?" Kageyama asked, looking up at the gray sky. A few snowflakes drifted down every once in awhile.

"I don't know. But on Christmas, my mom always makes this giant awesome dinner and bakes the best cake ever!"

"Christmas, huh?"

"What do you do for Christmas?" Hinata asked.

"I haven't celebrated Christmas... ever... I think."

"What?! What about your parents?"

"Well, they died a long time ago... when I was just a kid. And before then, they didn't really believe in that stuff..."

"Kageyama, what do you mean they didn't believe in that stuff?" Hinata asked, talking seriously all of the sudden.

"They... They were..." Kageyama trailed off. He couldn't finish.

"Kageyama, tell me!"

Kageyama grabbed Hinata's hand and yanked him inside Hinata's house. He pulled the smaller boy up the stairs and into Hinata's room.

Kageyama sat on the edge of Hinata's bed and Hinata found a spot on the floor.

"Kageyama, tell me about your parents. Why don't you wanna talk about them?"

"Because... they were... abusive. My dad had always been a drunk and he would constantly fight with my mother. It was awful, the things he shouted at her. And... me too. He hated that I didn't get good grades in school and he hated me in general. Then one day... he overdosed. My mother couldn't handle taking care of me alone. She died soon after and I ran away before I could be given to an orphanage."

Hinata was concerned now. Very concerned.

"...an orphanage?"

"Yeah, since I don't have any more family. I'm the only one left."

"K-Kageyama... I'm sorry, I didn't know..."

"It's not your fault. Don't worry about it."

"But Kageyama!"

Kageyama just stared at the ground.

"You know what?" Hinata decided. "This year, I'm going to make sure it's the best Christmas you've ever had!"

"Hinata-"

"It'll be the best!"

"But, Hinata... What about the whole incident in America? I'm surprised your mother bought that lame lie about going on a school trip and forgetting to tell her."

"What about it?"

"I'm wanted. I've been figured out. I'm the top suspect, and that means I'm on the run. I shouldn't stay in one place for so long."

"Kageyama! You have to stay!"

"But-"

Hinata started tearing up.

Immediately, Kageyama decided to find a way to make it work. He'd spend this Christmas with Hinata.

"Okay, okay. I'll stay for Christmas."