Chapter 4

ALEX's POV

-   -  FAST FORWARD 3 WEEKS. -   -

Matt and I spent the next couple of weeks frequently hanging out. We, in my opinion, were getting closer. Ive grown to like him, like him. I didn't know if he felt the way towards me so I just kept it on a 'just friends' level. I wanted to know, but I didn't want to ask him because the feeling of rejection sucks. I haven't had a boyfriend since junior year of highschool and I never really opened up to anyone since.

Matt and I planed on going out to the pier tonight so I figured if all goes well, ill ask him if he has any feelings towards me. If he doesn't, it wouldnt be a surprise. But if he did, I probably wouldn't know what to do next. We've been hanging out for weeks. He'd always visit me at work ans vice versa. I feel like Ive known him since forever. I remember a few weeks ago, when he was just the cute boy at the music shop. It seems like just yesterday.

I had about 25 minutes to get ready until Matt came to pick me up. I wanted to meet him there, but he didnt agree. I started to put on a little.bit of makeup; mascara, eyeliner, foundation, etc. I wore skinnies, combat boots and a raglan, it wasn't too cold outside but I threw on a beanie because I was too lazy to fix my hair. I got my phone and bag and walked out of the building to the sidewalk to wait for Matt. He showed up right when I got there so perfect timing.

"Hey, love," he said smoothly, "No, sweater? It's gunna get colder later tonight."

"I'll be okay." I said, giving him a hug.

"Yeah, because you have me." he whispered, but I pretended that I didn't hear him.

"What" I asked.

"Mh, nothing."

I honestly didn't understand him when it came to this. Maybe he was just sending me mixed signals, or i was just overlooking things. Either way, I knew I wanted him.

"We're here. want me to park close, or further away?" he said interupting my thoughts.

"Closer, please. There's gonna be a lot of walking anyways, plus its sorta cold." I said.

He drove around for at least 15 minutes looking for parking and I could tell he was getting a bit frustrated.

"Just go ahead park further away. its fine." I said.

He shook his head, "No, I don't want to make you walk that far."

"Its okay. Go for it," I smiled. Luckily, the parking he found wasn't too far from the pier. We started walking and I should've listened when he told me to get a sweater, it was freezing. Without thinking, I grabbed his arm and pulled him closer. It was too late to do anything else, so I just left it.

"Cold?"

"No." I lied.

He immediately took off his sweater and handed it to me. "here, it'd look better on you anyways." he said. I thanked him and slipped it on, and i instantly warmed up. He then put his arm around me played it off cool.

It made me melt when he'd do little.cute gestures like that, because we acted like a couple, but we weren't actually one. And that is where the confusion comes in. Was I stupid enough to believe he actually liked me back? Hopefully not.

We got to the boardwalk and just strolled down it, watching the bright lights change color and looking out into the water.

"The sun is gonna set soon, let's hurry over to the end of the pier." he said, walking a little faster.

We got to the end of the pier and sat down on one of the benches that were there. It was unfortunately empty because no one ever comes this far out on the pier since its a long walk.

"Do you want your sweater back,you look like you're gunna freeze to death." I asked.

"No, its fine, just come closer" he said. I did as told, and he pulled me to his chest. Usually, he was really warm, I felt bad so I began to take the hoodie off.

"Its okay, keep it on. I don't want you to get sick, its freezing." he said.

"I don't want you to get sick." I sighed. He just said he won't and adjusted the sweater back on me.

We sat there quietly for a while. It was awkward, but actually nice. Until ..

"Look, I need to talk to you," He said, breaking the silence. Great.

"I know we're just friends and all, but I keep can't do this." He said.

"What? Do what?" I asked, confused.

My heart began to race.

"This. Pretending that I don't have feelings for you. It's killing me. Honestly, I know you don't feel the same way but will you give me a chance, maybe? I know its a long shot, but I promise i'll do my best to make you happy." What? I was shocked, i didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything.

"I- uh-" I stuttered.

"It's okay." he sighed, letting go of my hand.

"What? No. um. I feel the same." I said, reaching for his hand.

"You dont have to do that." he laughed.

"Do what?"

"Pretend that you like me back. You don't. Its not hard to tell, actually."

"Im not pretending. If you don't believe me that's fine, but-" He interrupted me by pulling me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"I believe you," he whispered.