26. Social Thanks (Part 1)

° Jessa °

"So you promised your brother you'd have dinner with your family and his girlfriend before you agreed to have dinner with my parents and I?" Luke asked me through the speaker phone as I did my makeup in my bathroom mirror.

Relating to my situation, to my luck Luke's family prefers having their dinner earlier than usual—so Juliet's idea to attend both dinners at separate times was a success. Though I never told Luke why until he called me this afternoon to ask if I'd like to spend time with him after the dinner tonight.

"Pretty much" I answered in a sigh, "I'm really sorry, I was just really excited that you invited me to meet your parents, and—"

"Jess, you don't have to explain yourself to me" Luke chuckled, "I get it, family first. That's how it should be"

"I promise by Christmas I'm all yours" I told him, and I heard him snicker.

Luke went on to explain that'd he'd pick me up in a few moments since his parents also happen to like having a grand conversation before dinner.

"What's with all the baggage behind having dinner with your parents?" I asked Luke with a giggle as I applied my mascara.

"It comes with the reputation" Luke told me in a nonchalant tone.

"Your reputation at school? How does that involve your parents?" I asked him.

"No, my reputation at school is far different than my reputation with my family" Luke attempted to explain to me.

"What's the reputation?"

"You'll find out tonight" he simply said, leaving me in disappointment, "Oh, and dress fairly fancy—like a dress or something, and don't be surprised if my parents offer you alcohol, a drinking age seems not to exist to them. I personally suggest you decline"

"I've got it" I laughed, "Don't worry about it"

"I'm going to worry about it" Luke laughed nervously, "My life could be a handful"

"I'm sure I could handle" I assured him, putting the last touches on my makeup before going to my closet, and attempting to follow Luke's dress code.

Being back home was satisfying, seeing my own room again was a sensation I never knew I'd miss.

Luke mentioned being around the corner, urging me to rush to find something to wear to which I had realized that I own little to no dresses—so I settled with a skirt and a matching shirt to give off the illusion that I had been wearing a dress.

I assured Luke that I'd meet him outside as I gathered my things into a purse, and left as soon as I could.

"Where are you going?" Eliot asked as he followed me down the stairs from his room.

"I'm going out with a couple friends" I told him, seeing the instant panic on his face, "Don't worry, I'll be back before dinner"

"What if Zoë gets here before you do?" Eliot asked as he rushed after me.

"Then I'll get back before she does" I told him, "Quit worrying, you'll get wrinkles" I said to him, motioning to his facial features as I left through the front door.

"This is important to me, Jessa!" he called as I closed the house door.

I looked down at my phone as I walked through the path up my house, setting various alarms to remind me to get back home on time before I looked up, and was taken aback by what was in front of me.