16. Social Spooks

° Jessa °

The end of October came around quicker than thought of, indicating three months of being in school have gone, and the attempts to have Alicia live with us shown to be successful the exact day of it being discussed. After school, we acknowledged the idea to our counsellor, and she saw no problem with it at all.

Today was Halloween, meaning the entire school was about to be in an endless frenzy. We had received a manual in our mail slot containing all the activities to be done today, involving costume contests, a party in the large gym, and various other events. As well as tonight there would be a small fair, though small to this school is a different small to everyone else—and thankfully for us, we had a day off from school.

"Why do we always wait until the last minute to get costumes—guys it's the actual day of Halloween?" I asked, roaming through different aisles of the costume shop we were in.

"Because we're professional procrastinators" Juliet sighed, following me in nearly every direction I went.

"Can't we all be superheroes, or something?" Alicia asked, pulling out a superman costume, "See, simple"

"Superheroes were only popular in the 2010's" I explained, having Alicia put the costume back, and continue looking.

"It looks like we're going to have to go with Alicia's idea though" Violet told us, "Unless we want to be a set of crayons"

"I'm actually willing to be a crayon" Juliet said, having me snicker as I sipped on the iced-tea we stopped for prior to coming here.

Alicia shook her head with a laugh, "Or you can be Batman" she said, handing Juliet the costume in her size.

"I call being Wonder Woman" I raised my hand, "She has nice hair"

Alicia stifled a laugh, descending toward the end of the aisles for my costume.

"What about me?" Violet asked, bringing her lips to the straw of her drink.

"You'll be a crayon" Alicia called, making Juliet and I laugh, and Violet glare at us playfully.

We eventually found her a Spider-Man costume, and that part of our day was done. On our way back to school, we stopped by the infamous café, and I ordered us a few of bagels while Juliet, Violet, and Alicia found us a table.

By the time I came back, with hands full of our snacks, they were in the midst of a conversation about Violet's year-older admiration.

"Take your own aunt's advice, Vi" Alicia said to Violet, "Tell him the truth"

"I agree" I said, placing the bagels in front of everyone while I took my seat, "The truth will set you free"

"I will—I will" Violet told us, unwrapping her bagel, "I'm just waiting for the right time"

"Which is?" I asked, adjusting everything on the table as a mother would for her children.

"I don't know, maybe—"

"Tomorrow" Juliet, Alicia, and I all said at once, catching Violet off guard.

I laughed, taking a bite of my snack, and looking to Juliet. I never had the chance to tell her about my message to Michael, and how she lied about tutoring Michael, but I continuously told myself she had a good reason; Juliet always has a good reason.

"Are we going to the fair tonight?" I asked with a full mouth, expecting one of my friends answering, but when a masculine voice answered, I was startled.

"You have to" Calum said from behind me, "The music class is performing"

"Together?" Alicia asked, wiping her hands on a napkin.