21. Social Gratitude

° Jessa °

I was awoken on the wondrous day of November thirteenth with endless chanting, and frosting to the nose. Though may I say, fifteen feels no different from fourteen.

I got myself ready that morning, making myself look all the more formal than I'd usually would. Though who wouldn't on their birthday?

"Chocolate chip waffles dyed purple from L'Antiquité, Alex says happy birthday by the way" Violet said, placing a plate of the very food in front of me.

"My favorite" I giggled, grabbing a fork that was placed on the table, "So, what's planned for today?" I asked them, as I began to cut through the waffles in front of me.

"Just a small dinner tonight between the four of us, but until then it's school, and Luke agreed to keep you busy until that dinner" Alicia explained as she sat next to me on the table.

"I'm surprised you guys even speak to him" I told them with a mouthful of food, a habit I had to overcome, "I thought you hated him" I muttered.

"What makes you think that?" Juliet asked in concern while she folded a napkin on her lap.

I looked over to Violet, seeing her awkwardly gaze away since whom I indirectly spoke of was her, "I just inferred, I know how he used to be"

Juliet just shrugged, looking up to me, "Well, that doesn't matter, it's in the past. Your friends are our friends, Jess"

I smiled to her, continuing to eat the rest of my breakfast before deciding that I'd be getting to school earlier than usual since I had English homework to catch up to, as well as that I had planned to clean out anything unnecessary in my locker.

After I finished my last book report in the Quad area, with numb fingers and a fried brain, I made way to where my locker was located, and began my journey of Autumn cleaning—and what seemed like endless scraps of tissues and notebook paper, I finally was able to tell myself I was done.

"They told me you'd be here" a familiar voice called from down the hallway, making his way toward me.

"'They' being who exactly?" I asked, looking to Luke as I stuffed books into my locker.

"Juliet, Alicia, and Violet" he said, "I stopped by looking for you"

"You found me" I smiled, seeing him look at me warmly.

Luke looked down at the trash pile I had made this morning, and breathed out a laugh.

"We're not even halfway through the year, and you're already cleaning up?" he said teasingly, "What does this say about you?" Luke asked, leaning against the locker next to mine.

"It says that I prefer being organized rather to being a mess" I said with the raise of my eyebrows.

Luke snickered, "Why are you with me then?" he asked with a sarcastic chuckle.

I looked up at him snidely, "Giving no credit to yourself again, I see. You're not a mess" I told him.

"You're right, I should be giving myself more credit–" Luke said in an obvious change in tone. He reached into a pocket in his backpack, pulling out a small metallic box, "–for actions like these. Happy birthday, Jess" he said, leaning down to peck me on the cheek.

Though I was astonished, staring in mere amazement at the box he'd handed me, "Y'know, what's inside the box is even better" Luke said jokingly, making me look at him in playful annoyance.

I opened the small box, nearly choking on air when what was inside was revealed, "Luke, I can't" I muttered out, attempting to give him back the box.