40. Social Destruction

° Jessa °

April was an abundance of sorrow. All on my mind was the impact of that dreaded video, and the endless judgement from not only my alumni, but my own family. My father had ultimately understood my mistake; especially since he insisted on assuring myself I hadn't any STD's or become pregnant by taking me to the clinic for every week of my month long suspension. My brother personally tried not to mention my situation since it'd only spark up his own—what children our parents raised.

My mother was the only one who refused to speak, or even acknowledge, me throughout my stay. She simply just narrowed her eyes at me in the hallway, and continue on her way toward her room. Yet again, her son was a teenage father, and her daughter was a school slut—so I'd understand her shame.

The moment I was to return to school had come, which I had trouble looking forward to. All I thought about was the negative impact I had just the first day of the video being out, and I can only imagine what type of rumors and comments were roaming the halls of Canvick High School without my presence.

Although Principal Manning had called to assure that the video had been erased from the phones of the students, it wouldn't erase it from their memories.

"I can go with you" Eliot told me as we ate breakfast at the counter-bar around our kitchen, "I'll make sure no one messes with you"

"Thanks, but I don't need my older brother playing bodyguard at school" I said with a small, yet forced, laugh, "I can handle it"

"In all honesty–" he began to say, "–I just want any type of excuse to get away from my school" he sighed, "If I hear one more person call my kid a mistake, I might just mistake their face for a punching bag"

"We should just switch schools" I sighed, grabbing my backpack by where it lay next to the leg of my chair, and making way to the front door as I was ready to leave to the God forsaken place.

I waited for Eliot to grab the rest of his belongings since he was the one to drive me to school, "It's a shame, y'know" my brother said as we both made ourselves comfortable in the car seats.

"What is?" I said in an uninterested tone since I had already known what the topic of our conversation would be.

"What Luke turned out to be" he said, and my thoughts were correct, "He seemed pretty cool, and pretty into you"

"Yeah, well I thought the same thing" I said, pretending to bring my attention to something on my phone.

"It's worrying" Eliot continued, and I looked to him in confusion and curiosity.

"What is?"

"The fact that he can throw away someone's feelings so easily, without remorse or guilt" he told me, "How can a person live knowing they ruined someone's life?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, looking blankly at the road ahead of us.

I didn't say a word.

We got to my school minutes later, and I hadn't noticed I was staring at the front gates until Eliot called my name, and asked if I was ready to go inside.

I shook my head from the angst, grabbing my bag, and making way to the sign-in stand right beside the entrance in which I'd scan my Student ID.

I presence stood next to me, signing himself into the school just as I was, and I looked from the corner of my eye to see enough to conclude who it was.

Luke avoided my attention, quickly signing himself in, and brushing passed me to make way into the school.

I sighed, preparing myself for the rest of the school day.