32. Social Understandings

° Jessa °

"I don't know the piano as much as I'd like to" I told Calum after he suggested me singing a piano based song for my audition.

"But Jessa, you sing the song insanely good. All you need is to learn the keys, and you're set" he attempted to convince me, but all I did was purse my lips.

Calum sighed, grabbing my shoulder so I could face him, "Jessa, you need to take chances—you doubt yourself too often"

I shrugged, "It's one of my best qualities" I said to him, and he managed a small smile.

"I'm being serious" he said through his smile, "Music's about taking risks—how often do you take risks?"

I pursed my lips, "More often than you think" I muttered.

"Sit" Calum said, patting the spot next to him on the piano bench, "Play what you already know"

I sighed, bringing my fingertips to the piano keys, and playing what I remember being taught by my brother.

"I thought you said you couldn't play the piano?" Calum asked me, looking at me with a playfully angry look.

I managed a smile, "I'm not good at it" I told him, "It was second-hand teaching from the lessons my brother took"

"Well, with first-hand teaching from me, you'll be a master" he told me, clearing his throat as he began to play the first note, "With your left hand, you'll jump between the A, B, and C keys" he said as he played the very chords he spoke of, "Your right hand will focus on the middle C, E, G, and A"

I nodded, looking at his fingers move between keys as I attempted to remember what he taught me.

Calum commenced to show me how to play the song, letting me try every time he did, "Singing along with the song you're playing makes it flow easier" he told me, "So try singing the song as you play"

I played the shores he showed me, swallowing the nervousness in my throat before uttering out the lyrics I had memorized, "I heard there was a secret chord / That David played, and it pleased the Lord / But you don't really care do music, do ya?"

I continued the rest that I knew, stopping at the end of the first chorus, and looking to Calum—seeing the smile on his face of what he's created.

"We'll practice more tomorrow" he told me, grabbing his backpack off the floor next to the piano bench, "Your audition's in a few weeks, so expect hardcore practice hours, and no distractions"

"Already done" I told him with a small laugh, giving him his final goodbyes as I remained on the piano bench.

"Well, aren't you a star?" a voice echoed behind me, followed by his footsteps making way toward my direction.

I snickered, "It's not that big of a deal" I told Luke as he sat next to me, and I began running my fingers over the keys of the piano, "There's tons of kids in the music program"

"Yes, but none of them are you" he told me with a small smile, "Play something for me" he motioned to the piano, "Like that song about me being your favorite person, I like that one"

"It's favorite place" I corrected him with a laugh, "I don't know that much piano" I told him.

"How about this?" he began, shifting to face me, "You learn a song to play for me, preferably one by the same artist since they sound like cool guys" he said with a smirk, "Deal?"

"What's in it for me?" I asked him with a raised eyebrow.

Luke shrugged, "There's nothing I'm good at" he told me, "I'll get you a Mercedes"