39. Social Ruins

° Jessa °

"Oh, you're in for a treat" the girl had said, handing me over her phone as Juliet and Alicia hovered around me to watch the same small screen in my hand.

I hesitantly began to play the video displayed on the phone, having it begin slowly with nothing but a black background until a much too familiar voice began to speak—it was Luke's.

"You're just different" the video had him say as he lied on his bed with his arms stretched behind his head, and he looked into the camera, "Not many people just invite themselves to sleep over"

My jaw clenched, and I felt Alicia's and Juliet's breathing over my neck—knowing they had yet to  know I was the one behind the camera with his shirt over my shoulders.

"Don't act as if we're not close enough for that" my voice had been heard, but my face had not been shown.

At this point in the video, no one would have known it was me—except for my friends, who would be able to spot my voice within an abundance of others.

I felt their breathing stop, and their eyes fix themselves on me as their confusion erupted into the air.

"You've written me love notes, and watched the stars with me—Luke Hemmings's a sweetheart"

"Jess, what is this?" Juliet asked me, yet I said nothing at all as I continued to watch the video.

The motion of my legs fixing themselves over his body was conspicuously shown, and I have realized that I could make no excuse at this moment for the very video we watched.

"Enough about me" Luke's voice in the video said, "Jessa Hendricks has got another life too, she's dating the school's number one douchebag"

A small choke escaped my lips, and I gave away the phone in my hand to whomever was closest, and began down the hallway.

"Wait!" the girl called for me, grasping my attention, "It get's better" she rushed after me, fast forwarding through the video, and handing me back her phone.

I felt threatened, as if my discomfort brought her endless bliss.

I glared at her, looking at the phone screen she held before my face in angst.

Mine and Luke's bodies were still shown in the video after we—or I—had thought it to stop recording, and my heart raced as I realized what the video had captured.

His cellphone thankfully tipped over, though our whimpers and moans were still heard in the audio, and my mortification overtook my features as I quickly turned around, and rushed out of the building.

I stormed out, looking up at the various faces looking at me in amusement or pity, and I couldn't help but feel my lungs rip out of my chest with the endless stares in my direction.

"Look, it's Jessa Hendricks, the girl who's dating the school's number one douchebag" someone called out, having a series of giggles and chuckles come from the tables.

An arm wrapped around my shoulder, covering my face with is body as I grasped onto his body to pull me away from the attention.

I felt my eyes begin to sting with the tears that were threatening me to strike, and I hiccuped to keep them in their very place.

"Hey–" he pulled me behind a building, where no one could see us, "–is everything okay? Are you okay?"

"It's everywhere, isn't it?" I asked him, pulling at the roots of my hair, "Everyone's seen it"