Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Maddie had never felt so high in her life. The clouds looked like they were falling and everyone looked exactly the same. The dark brick alley behind city hall, or the stoner alley, creeped with the same people, people that hung out with Faith DeLawrence. Maddie held weed in her black nail-polished hands, while her black combat boots were against the floor. Her straight blonde hair was down and blowing in the slight wind as she was talking to some dude with red hair. Her emerald eyes were red and puffy as she was laughing to some joke the dude told her.

She hadn't seen Jerome around, and thank god for that. She was not in the mood to see him. She was having a blast with the random guy she met while eating a Taco Bell taco. It was disgusting, but it managed to keep her sober a little bit. The random guy was extremely good looking, but her eyes didn't seem to focus on his face. He was funny and charming; the complete opposite of Jerome. He was charming, making sure she was ok. She felt like she was starting to have feelings for this dude. Right when they were about to kiss, Maddie heard Faith clear her throat. Maddie stopped and looked at her, insulted that she ruined her moment.

"I'm sorry," Faith apologized, unsympathetically. "It's time for us to go."

"But it's only ten!" Maddie objected. She grabbed the random guy's neck and whispered into his ear. "I'm just getting to know this guy."

"It's urgent," Faith said, with an attitude. "Now leave Connor." She looked at him with her blue eyes and stared into his brown eyes. Confused, Maddie stepped away and joined her friend's side. Faith continued to stare at him until Connor started to walk away. As he walked away, Faith smirked and grabbed the joint out of her friend's hand.

"What the hell?" Maddie asked her while being pulled out of the alley.

She felt someone staring at her while Faith was walking with her. She didn't know what was up with Faith. Faith acted like she was spooked out by something. She was walking hastily down the street towards Maddie's house. Faith lived right next door so it wasn't a big deal to her.

Maddie broke out of Faith's grasp and walked right in front of her. Faith crossed her arms and stared at her. Her brunette hair blew against the brisk air as she tried to cover herself up with her pink jacket. Faith had to be the most fearless person she knew; what was she running from? Who was she running from?

"What's your problem, Marijuana Maddison?" Faith asked her.

"What's my problem?" Maddie asked her. "What was that back there? You completely ruined my chances with Connor!"

"Consider that a gift." Faith glared at her and crossed her arms. "You shouldn't even be affiliating yourself with him."

"But I like him!" Maddie objected. Faith tried to walk past her, but Maddie stopped her in her path. "What's wrong with liking two people at the same time? You do it!"

"You sound just like A—" Faith stopped short and shook her head. She held back what she was about to say.

"Like who?" Maddie demanded loudly. Why didn't Faith finish her sentence? She has never kept a secret in her life, why was she keeping secrets from her now? Maddie crossed her arms and waited for Faith's answer. She watched as Faith was looking around as if someone was following them.

"A SKANK!" Faith shouted at her. "You can't like two guys at the same time. That's makes you a whore and a skank. Why do you think I call Stacy Nicholson a skank? She dated your brother and that Peter Lancaster kid at the same time."