Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Maddie sat in an arcade with Steven, waiting for eight o'clock to approach. She sat in a brightly colored room full of arcade games, filled with children screaming their heads off. These kids screaming make me want to punch myself in the throat, she thought to herself. She saw lots of orange lights and pink lights all over the huge arcade in the town.

She sat at a table with Steven, being bored and miserable. Nothing annoyed her more than nobody talking and children screaming. It felt like another famous Mason family dinner. She just stared at the table with her hands crossed, not saying a word. Maddie was not going to say anything unless he did. It was because of him that she had to be stuck in some damn arcade with a dude who she has no interest in, meanwhile her boyfriend is going out on some mob spree with some dude who was associated with Jenna. Thanks to him, she had to cancel her plans to do nothing.

Maddie watched as Steven just sat across from her, dressed as in a penguin suit. Why he wore a suit to an arcade, Maddie had no clue, but it was strange. He just kept his eyes down at his phone as if he was waiting for a text to come in. He barely even looked at her since they sat down. It annoyed her a little bit since all he cared about was his phone. It felt like she was talking to her younger cousins.

Maddie stared at the clock and saw that she had a good half an hour left to see her boyfriend. It felt like the clock was moving slower every time she looked at it. She had to make this date go faster so time flew by. Maddie looked up at Steven and smiled. "It's a big arcade," Maddie said, looking around the entire place. She looked over at him and saw his blank face.

"Yep." Steven continued to stare at his phone as if his mind wasn't exactly there.

He had the same face as Alex did whenever he liked someone. She knew Steven too well. She remembered his huge crush on Jaime when they were younger. He'd always have his eyebrows raised up and his mouth curved weirdly. His eyes would always space out as if he was daydreaming about her. He looked constipated if that's weird to say. He had the same face right now, but staring at his phone. He liked someone, and it was definitely not Maddie. But if he had someone in mind, then why go on a date with her. Then that's when Maddie realized that Steven had a date tonight with someone else.

Maddie began to smile at him. She punched him in the arm, making Steven jump out of his mind. He looked at her confused. "Who is she?" Maddie asked him, smirking.

Steven began to smile and blush. "How'd you figure it out?"

She looked at him, as if it wasn't obvious enough. "You have the Jaime face," Maddie pointed out, making him blush.

"'Jaime face'?" Steven asked her. "That's a thing now?"

"It's always been a thing," Maddie said, laughing. "You look constipated for a really long time."

"I'm pretty sure I don't."

"Come on dude, what is she?" Maddie asked again.

Steven began to smile. "She's a witch, Mikayla Rojas. My god, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Tonight, we were supposed to go out, but my dad kept pressuring me about asking you out again to point where I had to cancel my plans. Judging by your impatience, I'd say you had the same problem."

"Tell me about it." Maddie rolled her eyes and laughed. Steven Holt was dating a witch and she was dating a vampire. Maddie then stopped laughing and realized a disturbing fact. Steve knew about Luke. "Wait, how did you know about..."

"I caught you staring at the vampire lingering and romantically," Steven pointed out. "You should be more careful about it in case you get caught. Be quick on your feet."