Epilogue

Epilogue

"Maddie, sweetheart," Jessie called out to Maddie behind the door. Maddie looked over at the door and felt no energy to get up to talk to anyone. Maddie was wrapped up in her blankets with sorrow in her body and tearstains all down her cheeks. "Maddie, I'm coming in."

Maddie groaned as Jessie walked into her room and turned all the lights on. Maddie groaned; she wanted the lights off and all the shades shut. For the past two weeks since she was saved and healed, Maddie had been in her room grieving over Luke's death. She hadn't slept in days, eaten, or socialized in days. Maddie had her phoned turned off just so that she didn't break down in tears at her home screen of her and Luke. Maddie felt like her heart was just gone, and that there was just an empty black hole where all her sadness came from. She was empty.

"How're you doing?" Jessie sat on her bed. Maddie didn't answer her. Jessie grabbed Maddie's bandaged up wrist. "At least you are healing. The good thing is that Caleb is now in prison, awaiting his sentencing."

"Just because Caleb's a prisoner doesn't mean that Luke will come back to life," Maddie snapped.

"It's not your fault," Jessie assured her with a motherly way. Maddie started crying and her chest got very hard. It felt like there was a ball in her throat that she couldn't get out. Her throat felt dry and raw with depression.

"He died finding me!" Maddie sobbed. Her face felt hot as her eyes kept watering up and her body started shaking. Luke is dead and it's all my fault, she thought to herself. That entire thought sunk in her brain and it felt like all her neurons completely froze in place. All the people that died in her life was because of her, and there was nothing she could do about it. "Why does this hurt more than when mommy died?"

Jessie sighed and gave a weak smile. "A broken heart is different than losing a family member."

"He didn't dump me, Jessie." Maddie sucked in a breath. He was murdered. Maddie soon felt her mind immerse in the dirty situation that robbed her of everything important to her. It was stolen.

"Maddie, what happened down there?" Jessie asked her.

Maddie didn't answer her. She wasn't ready to talk about the beady-eyed man yet.

Jessie nodded her head and reached something in the pocket of her jeans. Maddie continued to sob in her blankets and just let everything out. She just wanted to get out of Black Chapel for a while and clear her head. There were too many bad memories here for Maddie to handle, and it was eating her alive.

Jessie took out a pamphlet from her jeans and gave it to Maddie to look at. Maddie looked up and read the pamphlet she got about going to California for a few months. "That Broadway agent called while you were gone. You got a spot in his program in California. Basically, it's just mini versions of musicals and you perform them at the theaters in California. I think you should take it, but only if you are ready to leave."

Maddie stared at the pamphlet on the bed and was captivated by the idea of leaving Black Chapel. Maddie couldn't bear the thought of leaving her friends behind. All of them just lost Luke and they needed each other. Faith just came back to Black Chapel and probably needed help coping with her new vampire lifestyle. Hope had just lost her mother in that battle and needed Maddie. Was Maddie wrong for worrying about herself for once?

Maddie needed to get out of the town. She spent her entire summer protecting everyone else that it ruined her state of mind completely. Getting out of town would help her clear her head and get her mental state back together. Maddie would be able to get away from the cold New York weather and enjoy the nice heat in California. The best part was that she was far away from Black Chapel and all the death in the town.

"It is a great opportunity," Maddie contemplated. "Tell Mr. Baxter I'm free."

"Great!" Jessie got up from her bed and walked out of the room.

Maddie Mason was finally free.