Chapter 18: Montage (Part 3)

Day 1: Dialogue

"Don't do it."

"Y/N, this is a stupid idea."

"S-seriously, don't do it."

"You're both party poopers.  I'm doing it."

..."OUCH!"

"We w-warned you."

"Told you so."

"You guys are both jerks!  Are you just going to stand there, or are you going to help me out of this?"

"You deserved that, kid!  Everyone knows not to mess with the gnomes on a Tuesday."

"Shut up and help me.  I'm seriously stuck here."

"I'm s-sorry, Y/N, but you brought this on yourself."

"How was I supposed to know that the gnomes would set traps?!"

"We warned you that the gnomes are a warlike race, Y/N, and that they wouldn't take kindly to trespassing.  It's not our fault you went charging straight into their territory anyway."

"I think I hear the gnomes coming back!  You guys, just get me down already!  The blood is rushing to my head and I'm getting dizzy..."

"You can hang upside down for the rest of your life for all I care, kid.  And judging from those war cries, the rest of your life is going to be about two minutes."

"GET ME DOWN!"

"S-say the magic word."

"Please get me down before I get murdered by gnomes?"

"Say 'Bill, you're the best.'"

"Bill, you're the best PLEASE HELP ME!"

"Say 'Bill, I adore you.'"

"You do realize that if I die here, both of your contracts are going to transfer to a bunch of gnomes?"

...

...

"L-let's go home now."

"Thank you."

Day 2: Field Trip

Bill followed you from room to room, getting in your way and hiding your things, trying to prevent you from packing.

"Why do you have to leave?" he whined.  "Don't you like us anymore?"

"Yes, I still like you, you big baby."  You tried to shove open the closet door he was leaning against, only to find all of your socks missing.  "Bill, where are my socks?"

"Then why are you leaving?" he pouted.

"Socks, Bill.  Now."

He sighed and materialized them.  You packed them into your suitcase.

"It's only for a few days.  My cousin's getting married, and I can't just refuse to attend because you need to be babysat.  You're a grown-up demon, aren't you?"

"I thought you hated your family.  Why are you going home?"

You stopped short and stared at him for a while before answering.  "I don't hate them.  It's complicated, but I can't just avoid them for the rest of my life without ever visiting."

"Why not?  Sounds like a plan to me!"

You rolled your eyes, zipping up your suitcase and leaving it by the door.  "I bought you the cell phone for a reason, Bill.  Call me every day and reassure me that my apartment will still be in one piece when I get home."