Chapter 5

I find Kayla along with Tyler sitting together at a table. I come and sit by them.

"How was Biology?" Kayla asks kindly.

"Good, really boring though," I say, "How was your class?"

I listen I her rant and rave about how excited she is for the coming year. I don't listen to her, I just ooh and ahh and say yeah.

"Rose, what's wrong?" she says, face full with concern, "you seem bothered."

"Oh nothing," I lie, "just tired."

I can see it in her face that she does not believe me. She gives me that face, telling me that we will talk later.

The bell rings once more and I walk off to class.

***

The day goes by in a daze. I don't pay attention to anything or anyone. The truth is, I can't get my mind off of Jack Steiner.

I feel like I've seen him before. His features are so familiar. Where have I seems him before? I keep asking myself the same question all day.

***

It's the end of the day and I go to meet Kayla at her car. I find her and Tyler wrapped up in each other

"Well hell-o," I say with a sly grin.

Kayla turns to face me and clears her throat.

"Hey," she says, "are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

She kisses Tyler goodbye and hops in the driver seat.

"So what was your problem today?" she asks me.

"Nothing," I lie fluently.

"Yeah there is," in a lower voice she whispers, "are you on your period?"

"What?! No!"

She smirks and she knows she won't get anything out of me. I'm extremely stubborn.

"Okay, if you want to talk about it," she starts, "you can tell me anything."

I'm so glad I have a understanding friend like her. I mumble a thank you and we drive into my driveway.

"You should come over later," I say.

"Okay, call me whenever."

"I will." I promise to her.

I get out of her car, walk up the steps and into my house.