Chapter 25

"Well, I have a lot to say," I chuckle to myself because I sound like and idiot, "I don't even know where to start."

"At the beginning," Jack says to me, flashing his white smile at me.

"Okay fine," I adjust the way I am sitting so I am staring directly at him with my legs criss-crossed under me. He does the same.

"So today, at school, Stacy was bothering me again," I prompt and his jaw tightens instantly, "you came around out of nowhere and you told her to stop, right?"

"Mhm." Is all he says.

"But that's not it," I pause and look into his reflective eyes, which are fixed on the soft grass beneath us, "your eyes, they were red."

He looks at me, studying me closely. He runs his long tan fingers through his dark hair and he finally speaks.

"You saw that, huh?" he asks as he lets out a long sigh.

I nod.

"I knew there was something about you." He says.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"I don't know if I should tell you," he says fidgeting with the grass again.

"I wouldn't tell anyone. It would only be between us." I tell him and without thinking, I reach for his hand and take it in mine. I am rewarded with a warm sensation that raises the hairs on my arm.

He looks up at me.

Time is frozen.

"Okay, but this stays between us. If anyone found out... let's just say it would not be good." He squeezes my hand.

"Okay, I won't." I say.