Chapter 6

My mom is nowhere in sight, as usual. I go upstairs to my room.

I'm greeted by the frozen smiles of the stuffed animals I have on shelves. My room is super tiny, painted a light lavender color and dark wood furniture that is too big for the room.

I go to my desk and drop my bag. I continue towards my bed and lay over the white sheets.

Jack Steiner. Jack Steiner. That all I can think about.

I grab my phone and turn it to my :( playlist. Whenever I get troubled or depressed, these are my go-to songs.

Who is this 'Jack Steiner'? why is he so familiar?

I hear the front door squeak open and I know it's my mom.

My mom adopted me when I was 6 years old. I have no memory of my real parents, nor does my mom ever talk about it.

My adopted mom married young. She got pregnant but lost the baby. Not much later, she got divorced and starting living on her own. She works all the time. She is a nurse at the nearby hospital.

Me and my mom have never had a close relationship. I think we both understand each others personal space. Either that or we hate one another equally.

I go downstairs and into the fridge. I find some strawberry yogurt. I grab a spoon and head back up. I turn the corner into the hallway and come face-to-face with my mother.

"Hey honey," she says in a fake sweet voice.

I grunt and move past her. Once I'm back in my room, I call Kayla.

"Hey," she says "what's up?"

"Nothing, can you come over now?"

"Yeah," she says without hesitation, "I'm on my way."

We exchange goodbyes and I hang up. I can't hold it in anymore. I have to tell her.