Chapter Twenty-Five: Harry

"Wait, what?" Liam asked, his eyes wide. Louis stood in front us looking deflated.

                  Louis nodded. "She's pregnant. There's a chance it's mine."

                  Niall looked over at us and then back at him. "You're going to get a paternity test, though, right?"

                  "After it's born, yeah. They'll have to do it anyway to put my name on the birth certificate," he answered.

                  Liam ran a hand over his hair. "I don't know if I should congratulate you or..."

                  A small smile twitched at Louis' lips, but it was forced. "It's fine. I don't know how to feel about it myself."

                  I cleared my throat, shock still radiating through my body. "You're going to help her out, though, right?"

                  "Yeah, once I know it's mine."

                  "Louis, you can't wait nine months. She needs help with... with medical bills and clothes. All that shit babies use. You have plenty of money to take care of that," Niall added.

                  Louis scoffed. "Why would I spend money on a child that I'm not even sure is mine?"

                  I stood and gave him a stern look. "Because it's the right thing to do."

                  He threw his arms up. "Oh, great. Fucking perfect Harry, always doing the right fucking thing! It's my life!"

                  "Then do it right!" I yelled back. "You're better than this and you know it!"

                  "I'M NOT READY TO BE A FATHER!" he screamed. His face was red, his chest heaving.

                  In a split second, Liam and Niall were in between us. "Relax," Niall warned.

                  Sam walked in at that moment, her eyes on her phone. When she looked up, she saw Louis and I being held back, and her jaw slacked open. "What happened?!" she panicked.

                  Louis shoved Niall's hands off of his shoulders. He gave me a cold look and walked out, harshly brushing shoulders with Sam. I could've beat his face in for that alone.

                  She gave Liam and Niall a concerned look and then cleared her throat, slowly walking up to us. "They want you guys out there for sound check. Tell them Harry and I will be there in a minute," she ordered. They nodded and left the room, softly shutting the door behind them. She turned to me. "What happened?"

                  I ran my hands over my face. "Louis probably got someone pregnant."

                  She chewed on her lip and sighed. "I know."

                  I looked at her. "You do?"

                  "I was the first one to find out. I heard him freaking out in his room and I went to check on him. That's when he told me. I was going to tell you, but I wanted him to tell you himself," she explained.

                  A scoff escaped my throat. "He's not even going to help her out. Not until he knows it's his."

                  We sat down and Sam tucked some of my hair behind my ear and kept slowly grazing her fingers through it. Over my ear and under. Repeat. "He's going to come around, Harry," she whispered.

                  I looked up at her. She was perched on her knees, one of her arms wrapped around my shoulder, the other still messing with my hair. "He better," I muttered. "Would you maybe talk to him?"

                  She blinked slowly. "What would I say to him?"

                  Shrugging, I wrapped an arm around her thighs and pulled her down. She flopped down on her butt and I draped her legs over my own. "You went through this, kind of. You could offer some advice."

                  Sam swallowed and her eyes suddenly turned sad. "Harry," her voice croaked.

                  I was such a god damn idiot. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry. Forget that I said anything. That was insensitive of me," I apologized.

                  She sighed and twisted her body so that her head was against my shoulder. "I should be over it by now, you know? It shouldn't bother me anymore. Yet it does," she whispered.

                  The silver chain around her neck reflected the sunlight from the skylight above us and I reached over, lifting it from her shirt. She stiffened but then relaxed as I twisted the baby foot charm around in my hand. "This is nice," I muttered.

                  "Nicki got it for me," she whispered. Her small hand reached up and she took it from my grasp, quickly dropping back down her shirt. "You need to go to sound check."

                  I exhaled. "I don't want to look at Louis right now, Sam. Please tell them that I will sound check later when they're done."

                  She picked up her phone and called Vivian. "He wants to wait.... It's just something personal... He's fine. Half an hour? Okay." She pressed the button to hang up and tossed the phone on the coffee table.

                  "Are you doing okay?" I asked suddenly. Ever since that day in Hollywood, she'd been having a lot of days where she was down or where she'd avoid me all together.

                  "I'm fine. I'm just tired is all. Jetlag," she answered. But she was different. I just felt it.

                  I nodded and left it at that, not wanting to upset her. I leaned over and pressed a kiss to her lips. "I love you. You know that, right?"

                  She smiled and my heart fluttered, the way it always does. "I know," she whispered. "I love you."