Still Under the Capitol's Mercy

Seventy-six years prior to the beginning of the 75th Annual Hunger Games: 3rd Quarter Quell, the thirteen districts rebelled against the Capitol. They were strong and powerful when they worked together but when District 13 was obliterated, the remaining districts submitted to the Capitol with District 13 being the driving force behind the rebellion. Every year since then, the Capitol forced 24 children, one male and one female from each district, to enter the arena and fight for their lives until one remains, the victor. The victor, bathed in riches, would serve as the reminder of the Capitol's mercy and forgiveness

Every twenty-five years there is a Quarter Quell edition of the Hunger Games. It involves some twists from the original Hunger Game rules that makes it more disastrous or difficult to compete in. There is a small box containing yellow cards that contains specific instructions for each Quarter Quell. It is the president who draws the card and reads it on television to announce the theme of the years' Quell.

The 25th Quarter Quell was when the citizens chose the tributes for the year's Hunger Games.

Just a few hours after the theme of the 75th Hunger Games: 3rd Quarter Quell was announced, an old lady wearing a beautiful pink heart-shaped diamond necklace stares outside her windows looking at the nature. His husband looked at her sadly but continued to play with their grandchildren. He knows what's bothering her, bothering all of them living in the house. It was the theme of the 75th Hunger Games. The old woman, still marked with beauty, looks like she's about to burst in tears but isn't showing any signs of it. Her thoughts are so deep that when someone knocked the door, there's no response. Even her grandchildren are getting worried but who can blame her, him, them...It was her deceased granddaughter's friend, a victor of the Hunger Games, who knocked the door and hugged her after.

"Just relax a bit, please Grams", she calls her. "Don't show fear to Mr. Fil/Phil. I'm thinking that it is he who should be worried by now. Though I'm..." said the young girl.

The old woman looked at her still with those sad eyes then looked out the window again. She began to speak. "This is the third time that a Quarter Quell will happen. I never told my granddaughter about this. I guess she'll hate us if I told her but I feel uneasy that I am not able to tell the truth to her. I told my husband to be the one but that's when she's killed in the games."

A cold wind blew then the young girl said, "It's okay I'll listen. But I hope it isn't about me cause you know everyone I love died and I don't want to get too close to you guys or else you might end up dead."

"Death comes anytime besides I already treat you as family, as my grandchild. So even if your family's dead, my husband and I are still here", the old lady said assuring her.

"She's my best friend anyway and I treat you guys as my family though it's safe to hide it from the eyes of the Capitol. You might end up like my family.", said the young girl.

The old woman smiled. A moment of silence passed then, from what she remembers, the events that happened in the 25th Hunger Games are revealed.

Note: Fil/Phil is a shortened name. It is not the Grandpa's real name. It's the way to pronounce the Grandpa's first name.

Chapter Summary:

After the theme of the 75th Annual Hunger Games: 3rd Quarter Quell, where victors from the past games will be drawn, was announced, an old lady wearing a beautiful pink heart-shaped diamond necklace, stares at her window with her thoughts miles away. Suddenly, her granddaughter's friend came. She, having all her loved-ones killed by President Snow, hides her connection to the old lady from the Capitol, though she cares for them undoubtedly and the same goes for her too. The old lady, having kept secrets to her granddaughter who, just a few years ago, was reaped and died in the arena, felt guilty and to release her guilt she began telling her secret to her granddaughter's friend. It is also revealed that Mr. Fil/Phil knows the secrets and together with his wife, hides them from their children. The old lady began telling what she remembers about the 25th Annual Hunger Games: 1st Quarter Quell.