Chapter 17: Training: The Interview

Sorry for long update... Been busy with other priorities. Anyways.... This is the new chapter... Only one more chapter til' the games start. Enjoy.... PS. Thanks for those who voted...Thanks for taking your time voting. Thanks also for those comments... It really helps a lot. =)

After having a show-off in the interviews, Serena headed for their floor and tried to rest but in a sense she’s both happy and scared. Happy because she felt that she did a good job a while back and scared or more like nervous for her partner. But she believed that he could do it. Soon, Julius returned. And together with the rest of the team for district 7, their mentor, escort and styling team, waited at the living room in front of a large television that when turned-off looks like a mirror. They waited there for the results of the training.

After a few moments of waiting Oak turned on the television and the host of the show began to speak. She’s going to be the host for this year’s quell but it’s her 15th year as host. Her name is Crystal Clear. That name was quite similar to a District 1 tribute. This year, she’s wearing a blue wig with pink strands and a glittery outfit. She began to announce the scores. The scores are as follows.

District 1 (M) 8 (F) 9

District 2 (M) 10 (F) 10

District 3 (M) 4 (F) 6

District 4 (M) 8 (F) 8

District 5 (M) 7 (F) 7

District 6 (M) 5 (F) 6

District 7 (M) 10 (F) 10

District 8 (M) 5 (F) 7

District 9 (M) 8 (F) 6

District 10 (M) 5 (F) 5

District 11 (M) 7 (F) 5

District 12 (M) 7 (F) 7

The scores were announced not as a board but it starts with the male tribute from District 1 up until the female tribute from District 12. Generally the tributes from the wealthier districts, particularly the Careers, score 8 to 10. 11 are really difficult to reach and 12 seem impossible.

Once the scores were announced for District 1, Serena got surprised because Ivory scored higher than velvet. It’s usually the males from each district who score higher unless they’re younger. Second was the ones from 2. It’s not a surprise that Felix got 10 but Kristy also got 10 that made Serena tremble a bit. Both districts scored high, those districts she chose to fight with. The District 3 male was not surprisingly the lowest scorer. He was the youngest and the weakest. The trembling that Serena felt was increased when the scores from 4 were announced. They were considerably high as well.

 She was losing hope but Julius held her hand and they waited for their scores and to their surprise, they both got a 10 which made them including those from 2, the highest scorers of all the tributes. The scores they got earned them a big round of applause to the people who were with them excluding the Avoxes but they gave them a simple, contented smile. Julius and Serena hugged each other and congratulated each. When Serena asked why, she narrated the events that happened including her last action, the smile, and still not figuring it out, Oak told her, “They like you because of all the female tributes, you are one of the most beautiful, if not the most, and on par with District 1. That smile triggered it more.”

That night, Spikelet reprimanded the tributes to not to each too much because they need to prepare for the interviews. But Oak said, “Give them a break. It’s their last days outside the arena. They need all the strength they need so let them eat. The interviews will be held at night so throughout the day I’ll train you for your speeches while Spikelet will train you for manners. Tomorrow’s a good chance to get sponsors so we won’t waste it.”

The two finished their meals and rested. Oak and Spikelet, as planned, trained them simultaneously in different locations each. The day passed and they were brought to their respective stylists. Serena’s hair was tied in a bun and her dress was astoundingly beautiful, sparling everywhere but not to the point that it would hurt the eyes. Overall she looked beautiful. Her gown was up to the knees colored light pink, again with gold traces.

They waited in line. The first interviewee was Ivory and the last was the District 12 male. Ivory made a dazzling appeal. She gave a confident smile to the audience and it appeared that she’ll receive good sponsors. Next one was Velvet. He made a comedic appeal. Kristy was just talking normally, just keeping a normal conversation and Felix. He was full of confidence when he spoke. A monstrous effect, then. Vance, a shy one. He won’t attract attention with that shyness but Crystal tries her best to be of help with the boy. Interviewers really should avoid favoritisms.

At last, Serena’s turn came up. Nervously, she tried to walk elegantly and to show her confidence during her interview. Crystal asked her to sit. She began to start the interview. “Well, if it isn’t the girl match for the Careers. Serena Thistledeen.” The audience clapped their hands at the starting line of Serena’s interview.

“Yes?”

Crystal laughed and then the audience laughed as well. “It’s really amazing that one of the not-so-rich districts are able to get a high score of 10 and to think that you’re a girl Ms. Thistledeen. You’ve even beaten most of the careers. What can you say about it?”

Serena thought for a while but suddenly she remembered Oak’s words for her to interest them in this conversation so that she’ll not be forgotten. So she quickly though of an interesting conversation whether it would be comedic or slyly or whether it would show that she doesn’t fear the others and that the others fear her or simply a light-hearted honest talk. But she decided to go on with the flow and talk like herself.

“Well. I’m actually surprised but I guess I deserved it. I mean I thought that they have the wrong person.” The audience gave a laugh. “After all I’m not a weak person and I believe that my district chose me because I’m strong. And also, the Careers don’t always win in the battles. It’s just going a little better for me. So…” Serena looked at the audience with confidence and a beautiful smile and continued. “You’ll all have to watch me out.” The audience was amazed at her confidence, which seemed so natural and to show their appreciation and support gave her a big round of applause.

Crystal lengthened the conversation by asking her if she hated her district for choosing her to participate in the games. She lost her smile but not long after she returned it and she answered, “…Well at first I hated that District but… I’m not fighting in these games because of my District or for its glory and well being. I’m fighting to live, not for it but for those who’re waiting for my safe return.” In truth, Serena, at that moment Crystal asked about how she felt by her district’s decision, regained all hate that she felt for her district. All that love turned to hate. She hated it up until then. But she didn’t lose her composure and her smile. She still went with the flow.