Chapter 2: Sister: Farewell Sis

Marina Thistledeen was reaped to participate and to represent District 7 for the 20th Annual Hunger Games.

The Thistledeens including Serena were in shock. Serena’s tears were falling. She looked into Marina’s eyes and she never saw a single tear fall. It seems as if she weren’t surprised and that she was so confident she’d win. She didn’t sense any fear in her sister’s eyes. Her hands shook. She wanted to raise her hand to volunteer for her sister but her fear is greater. She couldn’t move her hands. She couldn’t raise them.

The Peacekeepers called out to Marina for her to go to the stage. As Serena looked again to her sister’s eyes, she saw her looking at her. She sensed immediately what her sister wanted to tell her and that is for her not to volunteer in her place.

Spikelet told Marina, “Marina Thistledeen hmmmm. I see confidence in your eyes. I think that you would give the Capitol a good show. “

Marina didn’t even bother to look at Spikelet’s eyes but the audience.

Spikelet added, “Well, well, I think that you’re not in a good mood today. Well, of course I can’t blame you, but you know something, you’re still lucky….”

Marina looked at Spikelet’s eyes and asked, “Why?”

Spikelet smiled and then answered, “Because you already have a weapon, and that gives you advantage over other tributes.”

Marina wondered, “Weapon?”

Spikelet answered, “You’re beauty… You can already gain sponsors with your beauty and attract male tributes. Make sure you use it wisely and… don’t get too confident while in the arena.”

Then after, Spikelet calls the male tribute from District 7. He was a young boy no older than 13. The two tributes then shook hands and Spikelet presented them with the rest of the District saluting them. They entered the building and waited for their loved ones to bid them farewell.

Marina entered a locked room and few moments after Serena, Bran and their parents came to say goodbye. Serena cried so hard and repeatedly said ‘sorry’ for not volunteering. Marina wiped her tears and told her, “It’s okay. It’s okay. It’s not your fault. I wouldn’t want you to volunteer. You’ll die there. You don’t stand a chance against other tributes besides I have weapon I can use remember? My beauty… I can use it to gain sponsors. I’ll be okay. I promise.” She then turned over to Bran and asked to take care of Serena and never let her take tesserae. She told him, “BranI won’t be there for her now. Be sure to take care of her. Protect her and keep her safe.” Bran simply nodded. After that she hugged all of them with Serena being the last and the longest.

The peacekeepers came and took away the Thistledeens from the room. Before leaving, Serena told her sister to try to win and come back for her for which Marina promised. Serena then saw tears flowing down from Marina’s eyes that she was hiding all along from her family.

The next time Serena saw her sister, she was on the television. She was so beautiful in the chariot parade and her partner; he was so young, so young to kill. She wears this colorful dress made from paper and her make-up fits her well. She tied her straight her. She was amazing. Serena can tell the audience cheering her.

Marina scored a 9 in the training exercise. She gained a lot more sponsors.

Then after a few days the bloodbath began. The Thistledeens’ house was filled with fear; fear that Marina would be killed that day. Fortunately she survived. She took an axe and started running toward the island. They saw her kill during the bloodbath but at least, compared to the male tribute, she was able to survive the bloodbath. She allied herself with District 5 male, District 6 male and female. The alliance lasted for 3 days until District 5 died followed by the tributes from District 6 until she was left alone.

Fear reigns on her but she doesn’t show it. She encountered the District 1 male who was about to kill her but she begged him and, attracted to her beauty he stayed with her and spent some time together and silently, she killed him.

The District 1 female felt that her partner was taking too long so she went to get him. She saw her partner's body covered in blood and just before she could scream, Marina attacked her, dead.

The cannon sounded first for District 1 male.

The District 2 tributes wondered about what happened and as soon as they heard the cannon they went to see for themselves and tried to rescue the District 1 female. Before they had found out, Marina has already left the place. They only saw the two bodies. After a few seconds the cannon sounded signaling the death of District 1 female tribute.

Meanwhile in District 7, the Thistledeens are pretty relaxed, almost confident that Marina would be the victor and come home. She showed exceptional skills starting from the parade up til’ the games. Although worried, Serena was able to smile not because her sister killed but because they have the chance to see her again. Little did they know that the District 2 tributes would soon prove to be a threat to Marina.

Chapter Summary:

Marina Thistledeen, the sister of Serena, was reaped to participate for the 20th Annual Hunger Games. Spikelet commented that she has an advantage over other tributes and that is her beauty. Before bidding farewell to her family, she asks Bran, their brother, to care of Serena and to protect her signaling that she might not come back. She proved to be famous amount the Capitol Citizens and she scored 9 in the training. During the bloodbath, her district partner, being no older than 13, died while she was able to escape. She allied herself with some tributes until she was the only one left alive. Then, she encountered the District 1 male, and attracted by her beauty, he didn’t kill her right away. She took the opportunity and killed him. Soon, his district partner came and Marina killed her too. She left the place before the Careers from 2 could notice.

Characters in the Chapter:

Marina Thistledeen – sister of Serena, participated in the 20th Annual Hunger Games

Serena Thistledeen –sister of Marina and the youngest of the Thistledeens

Bran Thistledeen – the oldest of the Thistledeen siblings and the only son of the Thistledeens

Spikelet Selkirk – the escort of District 7; commented about Marina’s beauty and her advantage over other tributes

District 7 male – young tribute no older than 13, died in the initial bloodbath

District 1 male tribute – killed by Marina because of falling to her beauty

District 1 female tribute – killed by Marina