Chapter 7: The Tributes: The Reaping

***This will be a long chapter. As far as my plans goes for my story I forgot to shorten this part but it contains the information of 'the reaping' of the 25th Hunger Games - fanfic. Keep reading guys and vote if you like. Comment too for suggestions. Thank you. ***

It was quiet in the Thistledeen’s house the day after. In the village, after a few hours everything seemed normal. They went to work. It can be thought that they want to grab this opportunity to think about having a victor by sending the best of the best. While there were many strong young men in the village, including Julius himself, there was only one good, strong candidate for the females. Serena Thistledeen. She’s the most fit of them, having not experienced hunger, and she’s also beautiful just like her sister. In fact according to the villagers, she’s the most beautiful among the Thistledeens surpassing even her sister. She, therefore, is one of the most beautiful young woman in the district if not the most. But whenever Serene was praised by the villagers about being more beautiful than her sister, she usually gives them a stern look, implying that she doesn’t want anyone to talk about her sister, moreover to remind her about her and the sadness of losing her.

In addition to her fit body, and her beauty, she’s also good in handling weapons like axes, sickles and knives, and she knows how to hunt. She’d be a good candidate for a victor, which means more food for the district the following year.

Meanwhile, Serena confronted Julius. The two talk. Serena began the conversation, “I can think that the citizens are gonna choose a strong candidate capable of becoming victor. And it could be you or me. We both know how to hunt and we’re capable of handling weapons.”

“Yes, but they wouldn’t choose you. They know that the Thistledeens already lost Marina and they wouldn’t want to lose you. They wouldn’t choose you.”, said Julius.

Anything can happen. I just hope that they don’t choose both of us. I don’t want to kill you. But if I’m chosen and you’re not, promise that you won’t volunteer to protect me in the arena at the cost of your life. I won’t do the same either.”, Serena told Julius with fear in her eyes.

….Okay. Agreed.” After saying that, Julius left and Serena followed as well.

The time came and the villagers lined up arranged from age where the youngest goes first to line and vote in the square. This process continued for two days. They’re presented with a touch screen monitor and from there, selected their chosen candidate.

And soon the reaping began.

Serena wore a peach knee-length dress. It’s sleeves were a little after than the elbows. Her hair was simply braided in a French Braid. She wore simple white shoes with socks, white. She looked beautiful. She entered the square and lined up with the 17 year-olds. Her family was watching at the back. She looked for Julius at the 18 year-olds. He looked handsome with his clothes. She then told herself that he’s fine.

Spikelet Selkirk then entered the stage. She’s wearing a more fabulous outfit today with rainbow wigs, 5-inch heels, and a dark pink dress with intricate design in it. The young man and woman were separated based on their ages, where the 18 years old goes first and the 12 years old goes last, and based on their gender. Then the escort’s speech was heard.

Welcome. Welcome. Welcome. Happy Hunger Games and May the odds be ever in your favor.

Now, as usual, before we begin, there is a very special film for all of brought to you all the way from the Capitol.”

The same usual film plays and the speaker, none other than the current president of the Capitol. ““War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. And people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future.