Chapter 22: The Games: Separation

The gamemakers sensed that Serena Thistledeen and Julius Winters were candidates for being victors since their love have captured the hearts of most Capitol Citizens. But unfortunately for them, the stronger, strongest team, the Careers, still have the upper hand. With them complete and vicious, the tributes from 7 are no match unless something should happen. As for the remaining other 2 tributes, nothing specifically was mentioned. The gamemakers just laughed the day and enjoyed for the time being.

Meanwhile, Serena, still at the sight of the killing, was paralyzed and unable to move. She feared the Careers but at the same time felt pity towards the dead tribute from 12.

Julius was alarmed by the sound of the cannon and he immediately looked for Serena in the place she said she’d be. He worriedly hurried to find her but tried to keep silent to avoid engaging in combat with the other tributes.

Still frozen in place, Serena was frantically surprised by the touch of a hand on her left shoulder. Before even looking back, she was shaking until she heard his voice. It turns out that the person was none other then Julius, who after the sound of the cannon, immediately began looking. Releasing her fear, the two hugged each other. She told him what had happened with the poor female tribute from 12. He stared at the dead body, but before the hovercraft could pick her up, the two bravely decided to take a closer look at the body.

It seems that the tribute was not only running from the Careers but from certain traps that the Capitol has given them. She received few bites from what seemed like deadly creatures or more particularly, mutations or mutts. She also received a few tracker jacker stings. They made a conclusion that the girl would have died anyway that day judging from the damage that she’s taken. But it could still be treated, that is to say with proper treatment and assistance.

The two left her and saw the hovercraft taking her dead body. After it was taken, the two continued their hunt.

Being able to practice while still in the district, Serena caught a few rabbits and shared it over with Julius who caught some fish. The made a fire to cook but immediately put it off and evacuated the area.

After eating, they took the food still uneaten for tomorrow, then suddenly they heard a howling sound. They didn’t mind it, thinking that it was not coming from the other Careers or fellow tributes but from the Capitol, and, sensing that the sound was far, whatever that was couldn’t hurt them at the moment. They went back to their cave but they heard a girl’s scream. They waited for the cannon, but no cannon sounded. Perhaps that girl was just wounded and didn’t die.

They slept in the cave one at a time, with the other being the guard. They tried to regain their energy.

They talked for the night and Serena told Julius that she love him, and he was dear to her.

Julius gave her a warm smile coupled with warm words saying that he loves her and he would be happy to hear one time that she loves him the way he does.

The following day, the two prepared for the day. They started late and ate late. They still not finished the food that they caught to save some for later. With that, Julius bravely told her that they need to go look for the Careers and instead of the latter surprising the two, they should be the one to start the surprise so that they could lower their numbers.

They combined search and hunt. As they searched, they also hunted for food.

Serena got their food, which they decided not to leave in the cave. Just a few distance from the cave, they felt weird and heard something from the direction of where the cave was. Before continuing their hunt, they decided to check what had happened.

The cave was just a rubble left. The gamemakers decided to crush it to have more fighting in the arena.

With no time to lose, the two continued their way, without leaving each other’s side.

But unexpectedly, a certain force made them separate. It was the action of the gamemakers. There were two bear-like mutation, though smaller in size, who came running toward the two tributes. It was created not to kill the tributes but to drive them near another tribute, for them to fight. It was effective. Serena and Julius were separated without knowing where each other was.

Julius reached an end where there was no other option but to fight the mutt.

It was also unfortunate as part as the gamemakers were concerned, since no tribute was near his location.

He readied his spear and fought the mutt. He killed it. But before deciding to search for Serena, he drank water to quench his thirst from the running and the fighting. He has found a source of water nearby. Soon after, he searched for Serena.

Meanwhile, Serena was able to outrun the mutt. The day was almost done. Although believing that the mutt should be near, she cannot hear any growls in the area.

However, there was a tribute nearby. It was the girl from 8, the smart and cunning girl.

The girl from 8 readied her weapon intending to have a fight. Serena already readied her knife then she heard her say, “I’ll leave you if you give me your food. Decide now!”

But Serena didn’t answer and the two fought under the heat of the fading sun with each dispelling each other’s weapon. They engaged in hand-to-hand combat, with the girl from getting the upper hand. She wasn’t only a smart and cunning girl, she excelled in the fighting as well.

She has another weapon up her sleeve, a small handy knife. Before she could kill her. Serena stopped her with a kick. She fell but she got the food that she was aiming for. Not deciding to leave her alive, she started to get up and fight her again but sensed someone’s presence. Then to Serena’s surprise, she left her and her fallen weapon.

Serena didn’t know what had happened with her and as she began to take her leave, she began to know why she had left. There, in the same location, was her mortal enemy in the Arena, Felix from district 2, coldly looking at her.

Is it the end for Serena? Will Felix kill her? Will Julius ever see Serena alive again?

Author's Note:

I'll be busy these days and so I can only update once every 2 weeks. Sori for this delay. It's hard to write a new chapter so once every 2 weeks I'll update. My schedule's tough. But still thank u for reading.. =)