Chapter 18: Training: The Final Day - It Finally Starts

Guys!!! This chapter is the last of the Training.  Sorry for a long irregular update. I've been busy with stuff but I can update now!!!... Next chapter will be posted next week. It's the start of the Games...

Also, thank you for all those who commented. I really appreciate it.

Serena’s interview went great. The Capitol citizens admired her and it is assured now that she’ll be getting a lot new sponsors. After her interview, she bid audience a farewell and went straight to her apartment. She was immediately hugged by Spikelet who was so proud of how her interview went. It was a natural mixture of confidence, comedy and drama. How the Capitol citizens were touched by her desire to win the games. And overall, she felt confident about herself. Oak and Mizar also congratulated her. ‘The Rising Leaf’ was the title they gave her. And suddenly, the next interviewee flashed on the TV.

It was Julius’s turn. He wasn’t asked about his love life but he was asked about his inspiration to win and what his strategy will be. The latter he refused to answer. He said that they should just see it as a surprise in the arena. The former was this special girl he would ‘win’ for. The audience was moved to know who the lucky girl was but he kept it a secret. He told them that they’d know it by chance in the arena. That statement attracted the audience more.

Oak whispered to Serena’s ear that what he’s doing was good to gain sponsors. After all he knows that Serena and Julius would be allies.  Serena nodded.

In reality, Serena felt somewhat sad by Julius’s words about ‘winning’. She knows deep in her heart that by winning he meant that he’d make sure she’d win. Her victory and safety was more than being a victor for him. She just pretended to stay proud and happy that his district partner was that confident with his words.

Crystal furthered the conversation. She asked him about his reason for volunteering. A slightly pause happened before Julius answered. He answered still in relation to that special someone. “…I volunteered and risked my own safety for that girl. If I volunteer and be the tribute, not only will I make my district proud but that girl. She’ll notice me and she’ll love me and be proud of me.”

The bell rang.  Julius’s time was up. Crystal ended the talk. “Thank you for that wonderful statement. Once again everyone, Julius Winters.”

Meanwhile, in the apartment, Serena cannot control her tears anymore so she went to the rooftop. When Julius found out that she went there he followed her. Once she saw him, she tried to dry her tears but to no avail. She hugged Julius and cried in his arms.

I’m always so proud that you’re my friend. You didn’t have to volunteer. You didn’t.”

“I wanted to keep you alive Serena and I will even if I die.”

“I don’t want to lose you. You know, I’m not sure of my feelings for you but I answered ‘Yes’. I care about you as a friend, as a sister and I don’t want to ever lose you. But we can’t both leave the arena together.”

“I know. I’m lucky you answered ‘Yes’. I’m so lucky. But I want to show you how I love you and if you truly love me. Show it. Win for me. Return to District 7 and live on”

The two shared some time together that night until midnight.

The game would start 10 am tomorrow. To gain some rest the two tributes went to their own rooms and tried to sleep. But neither of them can. But nevertheless they tried and were able to somehow sleep for about more or less than 3 hours.

In the morning, the two tributes prepared for the arena. While they bathe, the Avoxes laid their uniform in their beds. It’s a dark green plain T-shirt and a lighter green for the pants. Black boots that extend up to their heels easy for running will serve as their foot coverings. The pants provide some body heat for protection against the cold and thrilling night. It has many pockets. There was still a jacket that would be given by their stylists while waiting for the commencement of the games.

The tributes met each other at breakfast. They ate not too few because they’d be needing as much energy they can get while not yet still in the arena. But they can’t eat too much because it’s the Bloodbath. They need to run fast. With other warnings from Oak, the headed for hovercraft and before meeting with their respective stylists and before departing, Serena asked for Julius’s company for a few moments.

Julius. I care for you. But Julius I told you before, before training started that I’d tried to be close to you like before when we’re still living in the District. I was happy that I able to be with my best friend even if we’re enemies.”

Serena…” Julius tried to stop her but she insisted talking.

Let me finish. I told you that things would be just the way they are before the games would happen. But it would start now. I don’t want to be the one to kill you but I have to return.”

“I know that’s why…”

Serena looked directly and painfully into Julius’s eyes and said, “Julius, I want you to live also but only one can survive. So before we’re put in a decision where we’ll have to kill each other, let’s end it. You find your games. I’ll find mine. Let’s end our friendship here and now.”

“Serena stop it! The Careers are after you. You need an ally to protect you.”

“I’m the one who should be concerned about that. I’ll hide and you’d be surprised. I won’t be killed by the Careers trust me. Please. This is my decision. I thought over it all night but I’d rather die than kill you. But I won’t. I won’t die here. Not in the hands of the Careers, especially not in the hands of 2. So, try to live after the Bloodbath.” Serena gave him a farewell kiss in the cheek. He noticed her seriousness but he can’t lose her. He has to make an alliance with her to protect her from the others. But he didn’t let that distract him. He formulated a plan to keep up with Serena.

Meanwhile, in the prep room, Mizar gave Serena her jacket. It’s a jacket used to regulate body heat. He bid her good luck and farewell and the two hugged each other. Serena thanked her stylist deeply for making such beautiful outfits that helped her attract sponsors.

Before the bloodbath starts, Mizar tried to make Serena feel comfortable. He said that of all female candidates, she has the second highest odds to win. She smiled and once again, she thanked him. Then after, he went to the tube.

The game starts. It’s the beginning of the Hunger Games. It’s the Bloodbath.