xxviii

(the playground that night was a thief. it stole the light from the moon and shouldered it like a robe, and flaunted its glistening cheap chipping blue paint. tonight, alice was the one waiting. she hummed to herself a slow song and made a habit of biting the bottom of her lips. it bled slightly, but alice ignored the salty taste. 

a series of short footsteps echoed throughout the dormant scenery.  alice's expression lightened up as noa met her eyes. it seemed to whisper 'hello'. alice and noa no longer needed a formal verbal greeting. they said it in their eyes. hours and days became short before them. even the familiar 'hello' was considered redundant and a waste of time.)

"what have you got there, noa?"

(noa smiled as if he was expecting the question)

"magic potion to make us forget everything sad."

"you mean the rumoured magic potion that makes one happy for a night?"

"yes, i found it in my father's cabinet and took it when he wasn't home."

"are you sure that's okay?"

"yup, he doesn't notices these sort of things. and when he does, he think mom's the one who's been drinking."

"well good then. i haven't had beer for a long time."

"you mean the time you called me when you were drunk?"

(alice slapped him jokingly on his shoulder)

"forget about that incident"

"but i won't. and i wonder sometimes alice, if you hadn't asked me when you were drunk, were you ever going to ask me when you were sober?"

(alice shrugged)

"probably not. but i'm sure we would still be the best of friends."

"stupid alice. oh hail the magic potion that had made alice brave for that one night."

(alice glared at him. but noa ignored her accusation and popped one of the bottle)

"drink up"

(alice gulped it all down in a frightful speed)

"what kind of stomach do you have?"

"the best one. my liver is another problem though."

(noa drank his own, but took his time to savour his own drink.)

(the two sat, talked and drank. their eyes were in the sky, thinking about things that pained them, excited them. they talked about things they could tell no one else. their tongues became clumsy and they had water in their eyes but they took the time to spill all their insecurities, their fears and hopes. and they felt no regret. not the ones that drunk men usually feels. alice kept on drinking until blotches appeared on her cheeks and noa was starting to get worried. alice's voice slurred)

"nooooaaaaaa"

"yes alice?"

"have you kissed before?"

"well yes… i have."

"was it nice?"

"i guess it was…"

"well i've never… kissed… someone before."

"really? why?"

"just 'cause"

"do you want to?"

"yes-"

(and alice kissed noa.)

"wait alice-"

(alice just stared innocently at noa. noa sighed.)

"that wasn't a real kiss alice. that was a peck. this is a real kiss"

(noa leaned forward and kissed alice. a deep slow moving kiss. loveable. noa loved the softness of alice's lips, and how accepting it was to his. their intimacy last for seconds, then minutes. they didn't realise that time was passing. it was as if time was frozen for them. when they withdraw, they were both out of breathe but filled with excitement. euphoria. )

"oh i really hope that you don't remember this when you wake up"

"what about you?"

"me? i'm going to treasure this moment. i can't forget this even if i tried anyways."

(and they smiled at each other. and they drank once more. held with other's hands. and faced the moon. oh, what a beautiful night. )