Chapter 20~Operation: Momento

The Nature Trial was closed for the night, but you didn't care. In fact, who did? There seemed to be no patrol guarding the area. You were now standing in the parking lot, gazing at the entrance. As beautiful and inviting as it was during the day, at this hour it reminded you of those corn mazes you used to go to, the ones with the pinheads and those creatures with chainsaws. Good thing your phone had a flashlight.

As you began to walk closer to the trial, you spotted a group of boys hanging around a tree. You could hear them talking, and judging by their conversations, you could automatically tell that they were a bunch of douchebags. There was no doubt that they were friends of Hunter.

Knowing that you have gotten lucky once beating a group of guys up by kicking them in the groin, you were certain that whatever lucky charge you had before must have gone out the window. Whether it did or not, you didn't want to test it. And besides, they aren't worth the trouble anyway. There were more important matters on hand.

You used the shadows to help you stay out of sight, just as you did when navigating through your old neighborhood at night. You kept your distance too. No one seemed to have noticed your presence, that was a good sign, and despite the trial being creepy as hell, you slowly made your way through, trying to make as little noise as possible. The sad thing was, whenever you TRY to be quiet, everything you do appears to be twenty decibels higher, even something as small as the sound of gravel with each step you took.

Trees began to surround you the more you walked. For the first time ever, you sort of wished that the warmer seasons took place at this time, because according to research, snow muffles noise in the area which would explain the silence surrounding you. Chills traveled down your spine. You felt as if you were using an Oculus Rift in a horror game. It went then you kicked yourself.

Seriously, what are you so scared about!? You've lived in the damn hood all these years!

Taking comfort in the fact that there was most likely no one here not counting the douchebags from before, you pulled out your phone and brought up the Flashlight App, shining it around the area. Without another ounce of fear, you proceeded.

About ten minutes later, you finally made it to the same spot where you and Mikasa got jumped. With caution, you peered over the edge down at the river. You flashed your light at it, being extremely careful not to drop your device in the drink. Unfortunately, there seemed to be no sign of the wallet. It made sense since the rivers current was moving the opposite direction you came.

You sighed in defeat. How were you going to find the wallet now? There was no way. It would be like looking for a needle in the haystack.

That's it.

Mission failed.

Using the light for navigation, you began to make your way back. Something happened, however. Just as you were crossing the bridge to the entrance, something caught your eye. You peered over the railing and squinted. Your heart leaped in joy when you realized what it was.

The wallet.

It was in the water, trapped in the rocks underneath the shallow waters. Now, the only question was how you were going to obtain it. You looked around and noticed that there was a slope of jagged rocks. It wasn't the safest option, but it was the only way.

Before you climbed down, you set your jacket and phone to the side, leaving yourself in your white T-shirt and jeans. The cold air caressed your skin, making you shiver. The snow-covered rocks didn't help either. Carefully, you climbed down, feeling coldness shoot up your body the moment your foot hit the water.

If you were going to do this, it had to be quick. Your feet were already going numb.

With quick steps, you scurried over to the wallet's location and snatched it, triumph filling your soul. A smile lit your face. The mission was going to be a success after all. You couldn't wait to see the look on Eren and Mikasa's face.

However, the feeling of having freezing, soaked feet was becoming unbearable. You quickly headed back to the slope and began to climb back up the rocks. But just by your luck, you grasped a loose rock. It fell out and somehow you ended up sliding down with a grunt. You tried to recontain yourself but you only fell backward, landing with a splash in the river. The wallet slipped away from your hand on impact, and it was now floating.

"No!" You shouted, pulling yourself to your feet. Arms bleeding from when your bare skin scrapped against the jagged rocks, you staggered with the direction of the current, chasing after the wallet. You snatched it when you finally caught up to it and shoved it in your pocket.

You're not getting away from me this time.

Unfortunately, there didn't appear to be a ladder or anything to get yourself back up, so that meant climbing up the slopes again. You quickly chose what looked like a more stable looking slope and began to climb. This time, you made sure each rock didn't slide off under your grasp. It was a bit difficult since you could barely feel anything with your hands at this point. Soon, you were back up on the trial flat on your back. You shivered and shook in your soaked clothes. You couldn't wait to get home to change. But despite everything, you were happy.

This was all worth it.

You stood, quickly making your way back. You pulled on your jacket and slid your phone in your pocket.

However, just as you were about to fully exit, you felt a sharp pain on your left lower back. You grunted and hissed. Before you could even turn around, you were being dragged backward and shoved to a ground. On the corner on your eye, you saw what looked like a silhouette of a figure. You weren't sure if it was male or female, but either way, it was beating the living daylights out of you. Each time you tried to get up, the figure only kicked you down.

Before you knew, shades of red clouded your vision until it all faded to black.