Chapter 23~Who Did This?

Over the sound of your head pounding, you heard voices before silence. You felt yourself on some kind of flat surface and the vibrations as it moved around. This happened off and on, but you were too disoriented to notice or even care. Subconsciously, you yearned for the silence, as if your brain decided it would be best to go to sleep. How amazing is it that your brain can make decisions for you when you aren't thinking at all?

The next time you came to, however, you were nearly blinded by a bright light. You groaned at the pain of your head and squinted, wishing for everything to be dark. You closed your eyes in hope the pain would go away but it was no use. You took a look around, observing the bare white walls and the sound of beeping on the monitor next to you. It was then you realized you were at the hospital.

"What happened..." you wondered. But then you remembered. You were about to leave the Nature Trial when someone attacked you. That would definitely explain the stinging pain you had at your side. There was a bandage wrapped around that area. It reeked of blood and flesh, indicating that it's been there for hours.

But who?

Could it be Hunter? You didn't see him, so that had to eliminate the possibility. Or did it? The only other people you could think of were those douchebags standing around when you went in. But whoever it was, they failed their motive. You were alive, weren't you?

From how you felt, you knew you were alive. If this right here were to be the afterlife, then this would be one messed up system since your mouth was cotton. Your body begged for water. That sink on the other side of the room looked so appealing... in fact, you were just about to stumble out of bed when a nurse walked in.

"Ahhh (y/n), good to see you're awake. How do you feel?" She asked. This nurse reminded you of what you would typically see in Hollywood movies. She was about average height with blonde hair tied up in a bun. The only difference was that she was a youthful-looking woman, appearing no older than thirty. She did have a kind face.

"Like hell," you replied sitting at the edge of your bed. "May I have some water, please? I'm really thirsty."

The nurse nodded. "Of course. After I change your bandages. That was a nasty attack you had there. We even found some additional scraps on your arms."

"I don't think those are from the attack," you said lying back down so that the nurse could do her job.

"Oh?"

"I was dealing with some jagged rocks at the Nature Trial."

"The the local Nature Trial by the river? Honey, that's dangerous! You know how many people get injured doing that?" She began to apply some disinfectant to your wound, making you hiss.

"I'm aware of that. I fell on my ass once. It was freezing too," you said trying to stop your eyes from watering in pain.

"That does explain the hyperthermia. Your body temperature was much lower than the normal range. You're lucky to be alive," the nurse said as she got close to finishing her treatment. "What were you doing there at that hour anyway?"

You thought back on the wallet. "I was looking for something. A wallet. There was something in there that meant a lot to a really good friend of mine. I even have it right here," you were about to reach into your jeans pocket when you realized that you were in nothing but a hospital gown. Honestly, how could you not have realized that before?

Panic began to rise within you. "Where are my clothes? Where's the wallet?"

"Oh don't worry, they are right over here." She smiled and pulled out a bag from a table. She handed it to you and immediately you began to dig through the contents. You rummaged through the pockets of your jeans and sighed in relief when you found the wallet. You opened it up and found the picture inside.  It was a bit wet, but safe. But when you looked aside from all the minor damage, you could clearly see a young woman holding a grumpy-looking little boy. And she was beautiful, so full of life in that picture. Just by looking, you knew that she must have been a good mother to Eren, and Mikasa.

Why is it that the most wonderful people have to go through the most misfortune?

"Well, now that you're all set for now, I suppose you've earned your water," the nurse said.

"About time..." you muttered.

She chuckled. "Anything else you need?"

"Yes, actually," you said. You gave the nurse Mikasa's name and number. "I'd like you or someone to make a phone call and tell them to come right away. Tell her that I have it."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, that's all."

"Alright," the nurse gave you a smile. "We'll get that squared away. But I also came here to let you know that some visitors have stopped by for you. Is it alright if they came in?"

Are Mikasa and Eren here already?

"By all means," you said. Sometime after the nurse left, three guys walked in. You didn't recognize them, not for the first moment anyway. Your eyes widened.

They were the douchebags from last night.

"Hey there, we just wanted to stop by to see how you were doing," one of them said.

After a moment of hesitation, you scoffed and narrowed your eyes. "Funny. How interesting is it that one of you, who just so happens to have some sort of beef with me decides to kill me, or at least try to, happens to waltz by to check on me." You shot a glare at the three of them.

"If you're here to finish me off, then go right ahead."