Chapter 12: Misery

Paul's POV: (The next morning)
As I start waking up, I feel so well rested. I open my eyes and look at the clock and it reads 11 in the morning. Bloody hell, we slept so long. I begin to look around me and see the other lads sleeping and snoring. Were we really this loud? I hope Lucy slept well. Wait, where's Lucy? Before I start getting out of bed to search for her, the others start to wake up. "Morning Paul. 'Ow long you been up?" Ringo asks. "Not long really." I answer. "Let's go get something to eat." George says eagerly. Typical George.

As we start to head downstairs I remember I need to find Lucy. I notice the sitting room furniture is moved so I and the other lads go to investigate. We see Mo and Lucy on the floor still sleeping. I then remember, Lucy writing about becoming better friends with Mo and this is a good thing. She never had many friends that were birds. I also notice an acoustic guitar next to Lucy, but it's not any of ours. "Come 'ed lads. Let's let them sleep." I say. As we make our breakfast and eat it. Mo woke up and joins us to eat. "Morning love. 'Ow'd you sleep then?" Ringo greets her with a kiss. "Well, yourself?" She asks giggling while sitting on his lap and cuddling close to his chest. "I slept well and what's so funny?" He asks. "You lot snore really loudly. I'm surprised not one of you heard any of the others in the middle of the night." She says laughing a little louder. Ringo brushes it off, "I didn't expect you 'ere." He says. "Well, Lucy told me you lot were home but also sleeping. So, we decided to 'ave a sleepover. She even sang me one of her songs." She says. That surprises me, I know Lucy has a hard time singing in front of John and I but I didn't know how much courage she plucked up to sing in front of Mo. I know of Lucy having a hard time while I was gone and wasn't telling me so I ask, "Mo, I know she's written to me but I'm gonna ask, 'ow's she been?"

"Well, she helped me out the first day or two after you all left and we've hung out everyday since. She's really helped me out with my job and supporting me to become a hairdresser. I don't know if it's weird to her or not that we're four years apart in age but she doesn't seem to mind." She says. "She never really had many birds that were friends with her. She was always with the lads." I say to her. I'm now curious if she's written any new songs, so I go to the sitting room and grab her music book to find four new songs written. I can tell they're about her and I, she's like an open book to me. I look at "You Won't See Me" and found some wrinkled, circular marks on the page, it then registers to me she'd been crying.

"She bought that guitar a week or so ago. She really wanted her own." Mo says, reading my mind. "What guitar is it, if you know?" I ask. "I think she said it was a Gibson Hummingbird." She answers. "What?!" We all almost yell. I go to check on her to see if she woke up to see she's still sleeping. "What's wrong with the guitar?" She asks. "It's very expensive and the newest model." John explains. "Well, she loves to write and play and some days when I was still at school, she wrote songs when she was lonely." She says. "She got lonely?" I ask. "Yeah, she almost had a breakdown when all you were talking about was Astrid but her music is what helped her out. It also may 'ave helped her when I was telling her that Ritchie was talking about Astrid as well." She explains. I go to the sitting room to reflect on what I've written to her about Astrid as I watch her sleep. I realize that what all I was writing did sound like I had found someone new and it hurt her.

The others started coming in and knew why I was doing what I was doing. "She's fine now Paul, relax." John says smacking my back. "I know but I feel guilty." I say to him. I look at her sleeping peacefully, and her features make her look like the girl I remember when I was 6. I wasn't thinking and sat on the couch picking her up carefully, and put her head on my shoulder and move her legs across my lap. She didn't even stir, still breathing deeply. It hit me then, that I want to protect her and make her life worry free. Just like I'd done when she had that nightmare all those years ago. John was on the same wavelength as I, "She still looks the same as when we were kids." "Yeah, I can still remember that last day." I say. I notice she starts to wake up and she opens her beautiful blue eyes looking at me. "Morning." She says looking confused. "Morning love." I say kissing her. I realize after what I was thinking about earlier that I'm going to protect her from anymore harm. One day I will marry my Lucy.

Author's Note:
Here's two chapters for all you guys. I'm so sorry about the sporadic updates, I wish I could promise that I'd update more often but sometimes work gets the best of me and blah, blah, blah I'll shut up about myself. Hope you all enjoy!