cold hands

14|| cold hands

"scar!" a voice calls from behind me. it was faint so i continued walking, lowering the volume to my music in case.

"scarlett!"

this time it calls louder and i could hear footsteps gradually getting closer. i could tell whoever it is that the voice belongs to is now running over to me.

i stop walking and turn around while yanking my earbuds out of my ears. surprisingly, shawn is panting and standing right in front of me.

"shawn? what're you doing here?" I ask, my words laced with confusion.

he shakes his head and places a hand on my lower back, pushing me a tad so we're now walking together. as we stride down the street he shoves his hands into his coat pockets.

"my car got messed up. some asshole rammed into it from behind and i ended up ramming into the person in front of me." he explains.

my eyes widen and concern washes over me as i now scan his face, my hand reaching up to his cheek. "i'm fine." he assures me.

i grab his chin and we stop walking now. i look to see if there's any damage then roughly turn his face in concern.

"scar, i'm fine..!" he laughs, backing away with his hands now holding onto mine. "i didn't get hurt."

I took one more long glance at his face before nodding and laughing myself. "good."

"your hands are cold." he says. I glance down at them and watch as his thumbs rub the top of my hands. he then brings them up to his lips and tries to warm them up with his hot breath.

I stood there with a smile on my face, eventually letting out a soft chuckle. "I don't think that's working."

he wraps an arm around my shoulder and starts walking again. "I know. it's the thought that counts, eh?"

a few blocks later he finished telling me about the accident and his parent's reactions. we reach the street our school is on and walk up the stairs then into the building together. the environment was much warmer and my cold hands were surely grateful, as were shawn's cheeks. they weren't as pink as they were earlier. they were the kind of pink they would get when i would stare too long or obviously.

we reach his locker first and i expect him to walk away and over to it, but instead he doesn't stop. we make our way further down the hall and up the stairs to my locker. when we get to it he leans against the one beside mine, my hand now messing with my lock.

i pull the binders i don't need out of my bag and place them into my locker. they are replaced with the ones i would need for my morning classes, the afternoon ones neatly placed to the side of the small space. those get collected during book change.

"you're so organized. my shit's a mess.." shawn says while looking into my locker. i laugh at his words and shut it closed.

"i better go get my things before first bell rings. bye, scar." he waves, hugging me quickly then hurries down the stairs. i had waved back, now taking a step toward homeroom, but stopping once my eyes land on another pair of feet.

"scar!" this time it was alexis.

my arms fling around her shoulders and i crash into her, hugging her tight. "where have you been?" she wraps her arms around me, hugging back just as tightly.

"with friends. the breakup has been hard on me, i needed a breath of fresh air." she sighed pulling away from my embrace. her hands pulled the hair in front of her face behind her ear. "anyway.."

"was that shawn? you still hangout with him?" she says, grabbing my hand and a few of my books so we could walk to my homeroom.

"it was and yeah." i smile to myself with my eyes glued to the ground as i went over the past few days with him in my head like a montage.

alexis nodded her head with an expression on her face that i couldn't quite read. she didn't say anything else about shawn or ask about him any further.

first bell goes off and we are standing outside of the door. she stood there with me a moment longer, filling me in on what i missed so far with aaron and her. about two minutes before the last bell went off she said she'd finishing informing me during lunch and i went into class.