thirteen

[A/N: okay, your boy needs some help with deciding which ship should be used for his next story. Tayley or Zac/Taylor? Pls help and comment what you would prefer to read!!!]

The following morning, Taylor woke due to his vibrating phone. Luckily, Hayley slept right through the constant buzzing.

"What?" Taylor asked groggily and impatiently, his eyes barely open due to the blinding sunlight that entered his bedroom. He didn't know what time it was, nor did he care. He had stayed up late with Hayley the previous night, hence his exhaustion.

"Taylor," he heard from the other end of the phone. The voice was all too familiar. He sat up the instant he recognized the voice as his father's. His eyes opened, and he cleared his throat. By the tone of his father's voice, he knew something was wrong.

"Hey dad, what's up?" He responded, doing his best to sound wide awake, though also attempted to keep his voice at least somewhat quiet so to not wake his girlfriend.

"I want you to come into the office," he said. The words sounded more like a demand than a request.

"Dad, it's hard to work when the guy that shot me is your client. Besides, I'm planning on finding a lawyer of my own today. You've told me I could take a few more weeks off, anyway."

"It's not to work. It's because I have to talk to you."

"Well, we're talking now."

"Fine. Joshua Farro has showed me...something I wish I never saw."

Yeah, here came the regret.

Taylor remained silent. Completely silent. His eyes widened and he nearly dropped his phone.

"This girl...she's your girlfriend, correct? First off, why have I not yet met her? I'm sorry, I'm already getting sidetracked. But what in the world made you think you should record such a video with her? Nothing about that is okay in the least, understand? What if it were to be put online? Not just that, but what about waiting for marriage? You could have waited and shared such a special moment with someone you truly loved."

Taylor gulped, because he knew full well that Josh was not above doing that. Also, it was awkward for him to be speaking about sex with his father who must have assumed he was a virgin before the previous night.

"Please don't let Josh put that online," Taylor nearly begged. He didn't feel like arguing with his dad about how it was his life and he could put his dick in any person he wanted to, regardless of marriage.

"I would never encourage that. In fact, I would definitely discourage it. I'm not going to bring it up and put the idea in his head. But, I am not in control of the things my client does. Back to what I was saying, I think you need to tell me more about this girl, Hayley, being a pornstar."

Taylor sighed aloud, dropping his head and shaking it slightly.

"She's not a pornstar, dad."

"Oh, then explain what she's doing on this website."

He knew exactly what website was being mentioned.

"What website?" He asked, playing dumb.

"Oh, don't try to bullshit me, Taylor. This...this model website. I don't know, Joshua explained it to me, I don't remember the details. I just know that she's showing her body off and it's far from ladylike."

"Who fucking cares? It was so she could make money. So what if she did it differently than how most people would?" He was raising his voice now. It was uncommon for Taylor to use such vulgar language with his family, but he became a complete different person when angry.

"She's a slut, Taylor."

"She's not a slut, don't say that."

"She is. She seemed so happy to be showing off her body online. Is she still doing this?"

"No," he answered, though he was unsure if she  was truly finished with the job that brought her and Taylor together. He hoped so.

"Doesn't change the fact that she did do it."

"So fucking what? Doesn't change the fact that your asshole of a client shot your son. He was going to kill me, dad. He was going to kill your youngest son," he spoke, failing in his attempt to fight back tears. "He tried to kill me, and you are still willing to defend him. What is wrong with you? You're acting like I'm the crazy one, like my girlfriend is the crazy one. That stuff is in her past, now. We all do things we regret. But this, what's going on right now, it's not in my past. Or his past. The fact that there are still wounds that restrict me from doing some simple tasks - that's happening now. I don't want to see you. I'm not coming back into work for a few more weeks."

By then, Hayley had already been woken up by his screaming into the phone. She woke when Taylor and his father had been arguing over whether or not Hayley was a "slut."

She did her best to appear asleep, but she couldn't stop her unsteady breathing along with the tears that slipped down her cheeks.

Taylor didn't realize, though. He was too caught up in himself. Instead of relaxing, he called his mom.

"Hey, T. How are you feeling?"

He sniffled. "Not good. Dad's just...did you hear about his current case?"

"Not much about it, just that it's a hard one for him to win."

"He's defending the guy that shot me."

Their conversation continued for a while longer, his mother repeating "I am not going to let your father get away with this" throughout the conversation.

Once he ended the call and collapsed back onto the bed, Hayley finally worked up the courage to speak. Her body shook slightly. She couldn't even face him.

"It's all my fault," she said, holding the sheets tightly in her hands.

"What's your fault?" Taylor asked, moving closer to his girlfriend. She turned over so that she faced him.

"Everything. You wouldn't be in this mess if not for me."

"Baby, I need you. Yes, this is all so hard. But we're going to get through this. It's going to be okay. I'm not sure how my father and I's relationship is going to be after this, but that's the least of my concerns right now. We can find a good lawyer, and we will. I promise you that we will. Everything's going to be okay."

Part of him knew the truth. He knew that saying everything was going to be okay was a lie. He wasn't going to be okay. Even if in the end they won the case, things would never be the same.